Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Have antidepressants, will travel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:52 pm 

From Newsday:
(Spalding) Gray, 62, went to see the movie ``Big Fish'' with his sons Jan. 10. He returned to his Manhattan home before telling his wife he was meeting a friend for a drink. He left about 6:30 p.m., leaving behind his anti-depression medicine...<p> For God's sakes, millions and millions of people leave home without their antideppresants every day.

Post subject: Re: Have antidepressants, will travel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:05 pm 

So what happened next, did he have a good time?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:32 pm 

He jumped off the Staten Island Ferry and drowned.<p>Incidentally, the movie "Big Fish" ends with the main character jumping into a river. Perhaps Gray was inspired.<p>[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:01 pm 

Thanks for ruining the end of the movie, Matthew.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:11 pm 

My point was that it's a horribly ham-handed way to tell readers that Gary was depressed. And the reporter apparently doesn't know shit about antidepressants.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
Thanks for ruining the end of the movie, Matthew.<hr></blockquote><p>Oh, sorry. But the connection hit me suddenly and was striking. <p>In any event, the ending is heavily foreshadowed anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:25 pm 

Valid in this case one thinks. But recent reviews of The Human Stain revealed too much. What gives with some folks?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:43 pm 

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread and detract from Jackie's very good point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread and detract from Jackie's very good point.<hr></blockquote><p>'salright. I was just ranting, anyway. I also rant when reporters toss around "schizophrenic" when it's painfully obvious they have no clue what schizophrenia is. I think they just like the way the word looks in print.<p>Okay, I'm done now....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:01 am 

It's not a rant. Our people have a duty to know better about matters that affect so many.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:28 pm 

From AP:
NAPERVILLE, Ill. (AP) — A licensed pharmacy technician was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly spiking her children’s orange juice with the anti-depressant drug Xanax, police said.<p>Xanax is a mild sedative (at least milder than Valium), NOT an antidepressant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:50 pm 

I agree that it's important to correctly identify pharmaceuticals, which is why I will note that Xanax is NOT a sedative.<p>It can be prescribed/used for sedation. Just as it can be prescribed/used for depression. But the PDR classification is psychotherapeutic: anti-anxiety agent. (And yes, there is a separate classification for sedatives and hypnotics.)<p>And the comparative mildness of any drugs, of course, is dose-dependent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:50 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pam:
I agree that it's important to correctly identify pharmaceuticals, which is why I will note that Xanax is NOT a sedative.
<hr></blockquote><p>I know a couple of shrinks who will beg to differ.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:05 pm 

Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy. I've got a shrieking sinus headache.<p>Yes, I agree that Xanax is best described in a story as anti-anxiety medication.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:24 pm 

The information contained in this online site is presented in summary form only and intended to provide a broad understanding and knowledge of health-care topics. The information should not be considered complete and should not be used in place of a visit, call, consultation, or advice of your physician or other health-care provider. Testy Copy Editors does not recommend the self-management of health problems. Information obtained by using Testy Copy Editors is not exhaustive and does not cover all aspects of the disease or their treatment. Should you have any health-care-related questions, please call or see your physician or other health-care provider promptly. You should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read here. (Adapted from PhenoSense)<p>[ March 10, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:28 pm 

Well said, Member #1. I wish newspapers made a consistent practice of printing such disclaimers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:52 pm 

It should also be noted that the effects of virtually any medication -- particularly psychotrophics -- will vary slightly or greatly depending on the body chemistry of the person taking it. I know someone who uses Xanax as a sleep aid, whereas it has no sedative effects on me. And the effect of anti-depressants varies widely, which is probably why there are so damned many of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:37 am 

I feel compelled to say ... you want disclaimers? Here's a little fun from back in the day:<p> http://staff.washington.edu/taos/fun/e-bombs.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]