Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Noted Without Comment
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:31 pm 

Former Los Angeles Times Jerusalem bureau chief and NPR reporter Bill Drummond, who has dodged bullets in Beirut and Bangladesh, covered the assassination of Bobby Kennedy, and done "the whole nine yards" of daily journalism, is taking on a new media frontier.<p>Departing from the hard-bitten old school, "Front Page'' newspaper tradition, Drummond now tells journalism graduate students, "There's nothing more exquisite than having your feet massaged.''<p>Drummond, 59, who has taught radio broadcast journalism at UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism for two decades, has launched a new course this semester: Emotional Balance for Working Journalists. ...<p>Drummond's class, with its hands-on emphasis on Eastern holistic healing, is novel. Each student must take at least six sessions of an energy- based exercise, such as tai chi, yoga or qui gong. And each student must get at least one bodywork session from a certified therapist and make a presentation on it to the class. (SFGate)<p>[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Noted Without Comment
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:45 pm 

And then all suitably centered and balanced they'll enter the real world and meet charming gentlemen such as myself. Poor luvvies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:56 pm 

Emotionally balanced working journalist is an oxymoron.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:09 pm 

Wouldn't want to bother teaching anything important such as ethics or working a beat. I mean, emotional balance -- now that makes a journalist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:16 am 

I always thought that the way to attain emotional balance while being a journalist was through self-abusive consumption of adult beverages. I guess times have changed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:48 pm 

I'd be satisfied to see six hours of energy-based reporting out of some of our folks.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]