Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: web site ads
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:21 pm 

It doesn't have much to do with copy editing, but I have a question about web site ads. I just pulled up a story about Ashcroft's hospitalization, and the first thing I saw was a picture of a smiling couple in an ad. It got me wondering how web site ads are paired with stories. Is it done automatically? To use an old example, could an ad for an airline be dropped into a story about a jumbo jet crash, without anybody realizing it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: web site ads
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
To use an old example, could an ad for an airline be dropped into a story about a jumbo jet crash, without anybody realizing it?<hr></blockquote><p>Boy, I hope so.<p>(This seems to be a question for Dean Betz to answer)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:53 pm 

Some sites definitely use a scan of the text of the page to place ads. My blog, for instance, always has political ads placed at the top by the little Blogspot robots because most of my entries lately are political rants. I'm definitely not happy when the RNC ad shows up, but if I ever really get tired of it, I'll just pay Blogspot to make them all go away.<p>So yeah, robots aren't much better at placing ads than they are at writing headlines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:20 am 

I'm not an ad guy, thank God, but I'm occasionally involved in these issues.<p>Sometimes news Web sites deliver ads to the people that the advertiser is trying to reach by placing them in a broad section of the site, like politics or high school wrestling; sometimes, as Matthew observes, that's done by looking for specific words or phrases in the text of a page.<p>If used correctly, the tools that put the ad on the right page can also be used to prevent it from showing up on the wrong page. In the case of the airlines, their ads might be put in the travel section but not in the breaking news section; they might be matched to "frequent flyer" and excluded from "wind shear".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:17 am 

Well, I'll give you one example.
For a short time, a day or so last year if I recall correctly, the Seattle Times' web site featured a beer ad on a high school sports report page.
Start 'em young.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:59 pm 

No question that people can misuse these tools, hence http://www.testywebeditors.com.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]