Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Copy "editing"
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:43 am 

The Arkansas Democrat Gazette’s news section has taken to referring to gay marriage as gay “marriage.” While there may be some argument for this (anyone care to make it?), the use of the quotation marks feels like a cheap shot. The newspaper’s official skepticism comes through too clearly. It’s sort of like quoting a politician as saying that he’s telling the “truth.”

Post subject: Re: Copy "editing"
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:13 am 

I'd be really interested in knowing the back story here. What kind of arguments were made to endorse the quote marks? Did a style committee consider this? Who made the final call? What's the newsroom reaction? <p>Anyone able to comment?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:06 am 

I'd be interested in the back story too. Am left with the same impression as ShiningPath. The folks in the press box have decided to go out and bat for one team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:43 am 

This was (and is) also the style at The Washington Times. The argument was that it isn't really marriage. Of course, the whole point of the issue as it currently stands is that some jurisdictions are trying to make it REALLY marriage, so the quotation marks REALLY make no sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:37 am 

Bill, how long has this been the style at the Washington Times? And how are such edicts made there?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:51 pm 

gay marriages will never be legit in the eyes of editor in chief wesley pruden -- and he dictates the "marriage" rule. The copy desk, meanwhile, is intensely uncomfortable with this editorializing in the news pages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:32 pm 

*Adds another entry in his list of reasons to give The Washington Times no "credibility."*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:24 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by slothsintrees:
The copy desk, meanwhile, is intensely uncomfortable with this editorializing in the news pages.<hr></blockquote><p>I am shocked -- shocked! -- to see editorializing in news pages!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:48 pm 

Someone at the Arkansas Times wrote a column about the D-G's "gay marriage" style. He called a deputy managing editor to get some answers. It's amusing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:20 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nicole Stockdale:
Someone at the Arkansas Times wrote a column about the D-G's "gay marriage" style. He called a deputy managing editor to get some answers. It's amusing.<hr></blockquote><p>What's even funnier is that they capitalize "gay marriage" on the editorial page so readers won't confuse it with "happy marriage." (I'm sure many people would like to see happy marriages legalized.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:36 pm 

Maybe they should refer to themselves as the Arkansas "Democrat" Gazette.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:22 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nicole Stockdale:
Someone at the Arkansas Times wrote a column about the D-G's "gay marriage" style. He called a deputy managing editor to get some answers. It's amusing.<hr></blockquote><p>Lost amid the ridicule being heaped on Deputy Editor Frank Fellone, both in that column and on this board, is that the distinctions he makes between gay marriage, gay "marriage" and "gay marriage" do make sense. But that doesn't mean I agree with his paper's policy. Following those distinctions, and making sure you get them straight every single time, strikes me as far, far more trouble than it's worth.<p>At this point in the debate, the reader can make up his own mind over whether the issue at hand is a gay marriage or gay "marriage."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:42 am 

I guess I missed what the difference was between "gay marriage" and gay "marriage." Can you help me out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:57 am 

I guess I missed what the difference was between "gay marriage" and gay "marriage." Can you help me out?<hr></blockquote><p>Apparently, the rationale for the quotes is the same in both cases, but the difference in style is not explained.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:50 pm 

Wouldn't this be kind of like writing nonalcoholic "beer"?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]