Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: The worst sentence I have ever read.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:02 pm 

Good Godamighty, that's bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:44 pm 

A couple of question marks would have fixed it. But maybe we're reading the "spellchecked" version.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:58 pm 

It's no worse than a gazillion other press releases I've read.<p>I honestly believe the basics of writing aren't taught in schools anymore. Many mangled press releases are written by people who hold degrees. <p>Which reminds me of a joke I made up ages ago:<p>"I have a degree in communications."
"Oh? And what does that mean?"
"Well, y'know -- like, communications."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:23 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
I honestly believe the basics of writing aren't taught in schools anymore.<hr></blockquote>I'd have to agree. In my wayward grad-student youth, I taught freshman composition ["English for Primates"] at the University of California, Irvine. With few exceptions, my students arrived without grammar basics, much less any clue as to how to write a coherent sentence. The majority of them had SAT scores high enough to exempt them from the remedial composition class. I hear that twenty years later, it isn't any better.<p>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:07 am 

I do not think that awful bit of pen-to-paper (or keystroke-to-screen) is even an actual complete sentence. However, it goes right up there with the coffee beans giving their "lives" for your refreshment on the list of how to get fired from a job that requires writing skills.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:30 pm 

More Testy Than Thou: A Commentary

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
More Testy Than Thou: A Commentary<hr></blockquote><p>Holy crap. Is that the result of Rush Limbaugh getting into Hunter S. Thompson's stash, or vice versa?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>
More Testy Than Thou: A Commentary<hr></blockquote><p>Toward the bottom of the page comes this: Journalism As A Character Defect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Hahnloser:

Toward the bottom of the page comes this: Journalism As A Character Defect.
<hr></blockquote><p>That one is interesting. Some of the others are wacky.<p>Ah, here's his bio.<p>Does Blanp have a long-lost brother?<p>[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>
Toward the bottom of the page comes this: Journalism As A Character Defect
<hr></blockquote><p>. . . which includes: "Since most of the people in any newsroom fit this pattern, a culture has evolved which supports the reporters in their natural inclinations."<p>He's referring to a culture in which daily deadlines and understaffing, among other things, lead to a failure to see or report the big picture; in which a lack of expertise or inclination to develop it leads to an emphasis on the politics concerning a subject, but not the subject itself.<p>An interesting read with many valid points made. <p>Having seen his picture and read his bio I keep thinking of Uncle Duke, but i suppose that's my problem. If only he'd said that copy editors are unappreciated saints (or sinners who try to save the world from reporters and their editors) . . .<p>[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]