Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trivializing tragedy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:39 am 

From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, via Google news:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Fort Lauderdale · A Hollywood woman was crushed to death Friday morning when her SUV plunged five stories after crashing through a barrier wall at a downtown parking garage -- the same garage where city officials discovered serious structural problems last year.<hr></blockquote>
Same story, different lede (Miami Herald):
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Dan Kent was exiting a stairwell onto Southeast First Avenue in Fort Lauderdale Friday when a 2 ½-ton sport utility vehicle plunged five stories, landing practically at his feet.<hr></blockquote>

Post subject: Re: Trivializing tragedy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:21 pm 

As a reader, either lede would have piqued my interest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:46 pm 

I worked for the Fort Lauderdale paper for five years during the 1980s, when the Herald began writing almost every story as a narrative. <p>If a Herald story lacked a clear, straight headline you either read a long way to find out what the story was about, or you grunted and turned the page. <p>Many grunters switched to reading the Sun-Sentinel. Many reporting staffs emulated the Herald's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:02 pm 

Plunging SUV
nearly hits man
leaving stairwell<p>The Herald lede deserves it.<p>[ January 10, 2004: Message edited by: Peter Sibley ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
I worked for the Fort Lauderdale paper for five years during the 1980s, when the Herald began writing almost every story as a narrative. <p>If a Herald story lacked a clear, straight headline you either read a long way to find out what the story was about, or you grunted and turned the page. <p>Many grunters switched to reading the Sun-Sentinel. Many reporting staffs emulated the Herald's.<hr></blockquote><p>Interesting perspective. I know one paper that was at the point of getting carried away with narrative ledes, probably because somebody read something in Poynter that said newspaper had to do this. Newspapers are losing readers, you see, and the inverted pyramid somehow became the fall guy. Fortunately, cooler heads eventually prevailed.<p>I also find it interesting that the narrative-laden paper Wayne mentioned is the Miami Herald, the same paper that came up with a redesign so goofy that it needed a special section just to explain to readers how to find stuff.<p>Such anecdotes only makes me increasingly leery of all these trendy fixes for what's "wrong" with newspapers.<p>[ January 10, 2004: Message edited by: Gary Kirchherr ]</p>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]