Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alas, poor Conrat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:06 pm 

It appears that Lard Black is in more trouble than originally thought:<p>PALM BEACH, Fla. — Conrad Black is selling his plush oceanside mansion in the tony district of Palm Beach for $46 million Cdn.
Black, a member of the British House of Lords, has also received offers for his 11-bedroom townhouse, near London’s Kensington Palace, valued at about $33 million Cdn.
Black, who also owns a two-storey New York condominium and a mansion in Toronto estimated at a value of about $7 million, appears to be unloading assets in the face of a U.S. Security and Exchange Commission investigation into allegations of improper payments made to him and other executives of Hollinger International.

Post subject: Re: Alas, poor Conrat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:33 am 

That's SECURITIES and Exchange Commission.<p>I'm kind of interested in his FDR bio, though I haven't bought it yet. My appetite for reading about that era was whetted by Doris Kearns Goodwin's fabulous *No Ordinary Time.*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:02 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordygurdy:
That's SECURITIES and Exchange Commission.<p>My appetite for reading about that era was whetted by Doris Kearns Goodwin's fabulous *No Ordinary Time.*<hr></blockquote><p>How soon we forget.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:05 pm 

Oh, I hadn't forgotten. But I had read *NOT* long before the plagiarism charges came out. And despite them, she did create an incredibly detailed and intimate portrait of the Roosevelt White House years.<p>I agree that plagiarism is reprehensible and shouldn't be committed. But some of the work on that book was her own--we just unfortunately don't know how much. And the result was engrossing.<p>If Black's FDR bio is half as good (and it did get great reviews), it will be worthwhile to plow through its 1,000-plus pages.<p>[ January 08, 2004: Message edited by: wordygurdy ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:10 pm 

It should be noted that Conrad Black's research included arranging for Hollinger's stockholders to purchase FDR's papers for $8 million, supposedly as an "investment" for the company. So even this book is tainted by his corrupt practices.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]