Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trying to run them out of print
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:28 pm 

The 2004 list of words that ought to be banished
With BC-Banished Words
By The Associated Press
The 2004 list of words that should be banished for ‘‘misuse, overuse and general uselessness,’’ according to Lake Superior State University:
———
—Metrosexual: An urban male who pays a great deal of attention to appearance.
—X: As in ‘‘X-Files,’’ Xtreme, Windows XP and X-Box.
—Punked: To dupe, popularized by the MTV show ‘‘Punk’d.’’
—Place Stamp Here: Printed on return envelopes.
—Companion animals: Also known as pets.
—Bling or Bling-Bling: Flashy jewelry.
—LOL: E-mail speak for ‘‘laugh out loud.’’
—Embedded Journalist.
—Smoking Gun.
—Shock and Awe.
—Captured Alive.
—Shots Rang Out.
—Ripped From the Headlines.
—Sweat Like a Pig: The problem is pigs don’t sweat.
—In Harm’s Way.
—Hand-Crafted Latte.
—Sanitary Landfill: Also known as a dump.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trying to run them out of print
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:25 pm 

I disagree that Place Stamp Here should be eliminated. I mean, there are bank robbers who write hold up notes on their personal checks, and guys who tell airport screeners that they "forgot" they had hack saws hidden in their shoes. These people probably do need to be told where the stamp goes on an envelope.<p>By the way, I live in Seattle and I am happy to report that I've never read or heard of the phrase "hand-crafted latte."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:15 am 

does anyone else think companion animal just means pet? i think of it as an animal that assists someone who's disabled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:24 am 

The Lake Superior State University list is getting as tiresome as the annual bill for the 12 Days of Christmas stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:46 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eyesbluedog:
does anyone else think companion animal just means pet? i think of it as an animal that assists someone who's disabled.<hr></blockquote><p>"Companion animal" (at least as used these days) is a politically correct term coined by PETA types who oppose the concept that humans can own animals, even as "pets." I'm guessing from its inclusion on this list that it's gained ground among nonactivists the way many past PC phrases (e.g., "developmentally challenged" as a euphemism for "mentally disabled") have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> "Companion animal" (at least as used these days) is a politically correct term coined by PETA types who oppose the concept that humans can own animals, even as "pets."<hr></blockquote>In the somewhat eccentric City of West Hollywood, the City Council voted to replace all instances of 'pet owner' in the city statutes with 'pet guardian'. PETA, I'm sure, will not rest until the City revises the wording to 'animal companion guardian'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:45 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Finn DeSiecle:
I'm guessing from its inclusion on this list that it's gained ground among nonactivists the way many past PC phrases (e.g., "developmentally challenged" as a euphemism for "mentally disabled") have.<hr></blockquote>Isn't it "other-abled" now?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eyesbluedog:
does anyone else think companion animal just means pet? i think of it as an animal that assists someone who's disabled.<hr></blockquote><p>Those animals usually are known as service animals or assistance animals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:39 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Isn't it "other-abled" now?<hr></blockquote><p>I have to confess, I don't know. (Hanging head in shame) Goddess help me -- I must be an ableist!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Finn DeSiecle:
<p>I have to confess, I don't know. (Hanging head in shame) Goddess help me -- I must be an ableist!<hr></blockquote><p>Remember the blessedly short-lived "specially abled"?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:34 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
Remember the blessedly short-lived "specially abled"?<hr></blockquote>I think that one died because in the PC world, we're all special. <p>And we're good enough, and we're smart enough, and, doggone it, people like us!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
...and, doggone it, people like us!<hr></blockquote><p>We're copy editors. Nobody likes us. *whimper*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:45 pm 

does anyone else think companion animal just means pet? i think of it as an animal that assists someone who's disabled.<hr></blockquote><p>My boyfriend, who is blind, uses a service dog (she's a genuine Seeing Eye dog, actually). I've never heard him say companion animal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:43 pm 

Isn't it "other-abled" now?<hr></blockquote><p>-- Please. Don't give people the option.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:09 am 

Not that it matters, but I always thought LOL stood for "lots of laughs," which is equally bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:20 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joann:
We're copy editors. Nobody likes us. *whimper*<hr></blockquote>From TCE's main page:<p>"Newspaper copy editors and their fans talk shop."<p>Does this mean we've been misled?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]