Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do the arithmetic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:40 am 

"Colon cancer is a largely preventable disease -- we just have to get people through the door to get screened," said Perry J. Pickhardt, an associate professor of radiology at the University of Wisconsin Medical School in Madison, who tested the new approach. "This could help do that. It's an exciting time. We could save countless lives."<p>Colon cancer strikes about 105,500 Americans each year and kills more than 57,000, making it the second leading cancer killer, after lung cancer. (Washington Post)<p>***Countless? Looks pretty countable to me.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do the arithmetic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:06 pm 

I had a kid sportswriter who was in the habit of writing "countless," particularly to describe the "number" of turnovers in a sloppy basketball game. I told him, "Just because you didn't count them, that doesn't make them 'countless'." <p>Come to think of it, I had to teach this kid that change of possession on a defensive rebound isn't a turnover.

Post subject: Re: Do the arithmetic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:53 am 

Image<p>***That would be the thing marked "P."***

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]