Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: A litany of laziness
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:22 pm 

In a burst of foolishness, I am thinking of embarking on a masters degree.
One of the things I hope to touch on is the inability of some people in our trade to see outside the trendy suburbs, where too many copy editors in this fair city live.
An item on a local Murdoch website yesterday that was sourced from Australian Associated Press reported that a woman had been stuck by lightning in Homebush, my home suburb.
Nup, I thought, a suspicion heightened by the fact that the suburb was placed in the wrong region of Sydney.
Then this morning's Telegraph reports the suburb as Strathfield.
More likely, thinks I, until I see they have misspelled Concord Hospital as Concorde Hospital.
So over to the Herald, Concord Hospital spelled correctly, suburb given as Homebush West.
Must be right, thinks the Good Wiggins.
Check for yourself, thinks the Evil Wiggins.
The suburb was Strathfield, not Homebush (AAP) or Homebush West (Herald); the hospital Concord Hospital, not Concorde (Telegraph) the region the inner west of Sydney, definitively not the north-west (AAP).
I suspect all this stems from an attitude that writes off the places where folks prefer beer to sauvignon blanc. To do the masters I'll have to do some good old-fashioned research.
(For the record, Sydney's Olympic venues are at Olympic Park, and not Homebush, as folks who have never been west of Central station would have you believe).<p>[ November 30, 2003: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]<p>[ November 30, 2003: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]