Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ] 
 Post subject: It's the least wonderful time of the year...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:03 pm 

Ah, the holidays. Time to kick back and coast for a month or so. For civilians, anyway. Not for copy editors...at least where I am.<p>Life for copy editors where I am is exceedingly unpleasant during the holidays. Under our Guild contract, we get paid pretty well for them. But despite my prior objection to this word, I must say that the holidays really suck here.<p>Why? Huge papers with no added staffing. Vacations, which make already calamitous understaffing even worse. The occasional sick day taken by a co-worker who gets ill due to the bad weather here, or who selfishly decides to take one "because it's there." And bosses, angry at working on holidays, pressured by huge papers and impossible deadlines, fearing that slipups can result in reduced MBO bonuses, can turn into martinets. <p>I have been at my current paper for many years, and thus I have become foggy on what life used to be like elsewhere. Maybe I need a reminder; perhaps Marley's ghost will be visiting me in the near future.<p>I've dreaded the holidays for many years. It's the five or six weeks a year that I fucking wish I'd gone to medical school. Oh, right...I would have needed a degree to go there anyway.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It's the least wonderful time of the year...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:06 pm 

Selfishly take a sick day simply because one can?
Who would do such a thing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:15 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
I've dreaded the holidays for many years. It's the five or six weeks a year that I fucking wish I'd gone to medical school.<hr></blockquote><p>And a cheery "Happy Thanksgiving!" to you, too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:35 pm 

Here, Phil, we have an annual rite called (after the old National Lampoon feature) Savage Christmas. Savage Christmas comes in many forms. Being berated by bosses; being ganged up on by co-workers; beleaguered slots screaming at each other. No form of unpleasantry is off-limits.<p>Oh, and one particularly memorable Savage Christmas featured the hysterically funny sight of my ferret having an eggnog-induced "incident"
down ADKBrown's back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:05 pm 

Bumf, I dunno what it's like in your shop, but I'll be working Christmas Day and New Year's Day, as per usual, as I suspect many of the rest of you are. That, coupled with the kind of hell you describe leading up to the holidays, is why my wife and I no longer celebrate the season. We wait for the Superbowl instead, since we're both football freaks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:15 pm 

I hate football, too, which means I am totally out of luck, Rat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:22 pm 

This is my first year since I graduated from high school (1995) that I have Christmas off. I had to work all Thanksgiving week to be able to afford the privilige, though. Beats working all the holidays, though. <p>My friends with "normal" jobs are always horrified that I have to work holidays, and seem to think I do it because I am a workaholic. My mother also doesn't quite seem to grasp the nature of what I do.<p>I don't know who they think makes the paper that magically shows up on their doorstep every morning.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:47 pm 

I make it a point to work holidays, lest I be invited to eat with people other than my wife and son.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:53 pm 

I work holidays because we are paid well to do it. Plus, as Phil points out, it is a convenient excuse to be antisocial, which I am. But I did have a nice time at jmcg's house before work today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:27 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:

Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
I've dreaded the holidays for many years. It's the five or six weeks a year that I fucking wish I'd gone to medical school.<p>And a cheery "Happy Thanksgiving!" to you, too!
<hr></blockquote><p>I can sort of relate. My family lives in Texas; I live alone with a couple of cats; Thanksgiving feast for me is going to be a frozen dinner because I had to work today, so there was no point in going over to someone's house; and I quit smoking a few days ago so this morning was HELL.<p>But I do have a job to go to. And a crappy frozen dinner is so much more than millions of people had today. One of my copy editor buds brought in sugar cookies. And Bush conveniently handed me the front-page story I knew I had to come up with today. And I'm getting time-and-a-half for a low-stress shift.<p>But this morning was still HELL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:39 pm 

Bumf — not even football? That's REALLY depressing. And it appears Jackie hit the ... well ... jackpot for Thanksgiving. <p>I suspect our colleague M. Wiggins from Down Under will have a little better time of it -- at least the weather promises to be better than what we'll get.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:50 pm 

I'm working Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day this year. I quit asking for holidays off long ago because in past jobs it either was a waste of time or I ended up with worse holiday schedules than this year's.<p>One year I asked, in early November, for New Year's Eve. I got it, but worked Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. No one else on the large staff worked as many of those days; there was no need for me to do it.<p>One year, at my next employer, I worked as national slot/wire editor/A section designer and sometimes also night editor from Christmas THROUGH New Year's Day.<p>Now, at a union paper, I squirrel away what we call "lieu days," earned for working five days in the week including the holiday, for escaping on extra-long vacations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RimRat:

I suspect our colleague M. Wiggins from Down Under will have a little better time of it -- at least the weather promises to be better than what we'll get.
<hr></blockquote><p>Apart from the 108 degree days and my district being affected by massive fires most in four of the 10 summers I've been here. But if all goes well one can get away for
a while because of the summer slowdown.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:41 am 

As a fellow non-fan of the holidays, I'm curious Bumf:<p>How are you expecting the rest of us to react to your very public grousing? I mean, I can see why you are grumpy and bitter, and I would imagine you, like many of us, try to work these things out in therapy or with close friends and family. But I'd really like to know how you expect your colleagues to deal with your constant bitching.<p>What would you like us to do?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:30 pm 

Boy, all of you make me want to run right out and apply for a newspaper gig! <p>Though my schedule has its disadvantages, at least in my current job I get all the major holidays off. Being somewhat of a loner, I am isolated enough in my everyday life. I can't imagine how much more isolated I would be if I worked at a paper and was denied the chance to socialize with my family and/or friends at the holidays. That's pretty much my emotional sustenance.<p>As much as I love reading the newspaper and working with words, I really wonder if I could tolerate the sacrifice one has to make regarding human interaction in order to work for a paper. It's quite a sacrifice from what I'm reading here.<p>It is incredibly valuable to see this discussion thread, though, because it's akin to getting a taste of what it's like to work at a paper without having to do it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:24 pm 

At two non-union papers where I worked the practice for the newsroom was to get five days off at either Christmas or New Years. You worked like a demon the five days you didn't have off, obviously, but a lot of the copy was canned stuff - year-enders on every beat written weeks in advance. Choices were by seniority up to a point, and first come after that. It worked. Fairly humanely.
And it probably helped keep the union out of the first paper, but not the second. A union contract is the better option.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:11 pm 

JJMoney:<p>Well, you can start by sending me a Christmas card.<p>Copy desks thrive on bitching. Love the work, and love to bitch about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:24 pm 

I think that's why this board isn't called Shiny Happy Copy Editors, she said with a smile.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordygurdy:
As much as I love reading the newspaper and working with words, I really wonder if I could tolerate the sacrifice one has to make regarding human interaction in order to work for a paper. It's quite a sacrifice from what I'm reading here.<p>It is incredibly valuable to see this discussion thread, though, because it's akin to getting a taste of what it's like to work at a paper without having to do it.<hr></blockquote><p>That's a really good point. I graduated from college two years ago and have been working at my first newspaper job for a year and a half or so. I really love what I do and I'm glad I'm at a small paper that gives me the opportunity to learn a hell of a lot, but I'm not so sure I'm going to be doing exactly this for the next 45 or so years (if Medicare doesn't explode). <p>The hours are a bit weird, but I'm in my early 20s and a bachelor, so working 2 p.m. to midnight Wednesday through Saturday is basically still keeping college hours. But I can't imagine what it's like for people with spouses and children. Myself, I find it hard enough to handle the responsibility of houseplants.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:19 am 

I love newspaper work and have done it full time since I was 19, which is 31 years ago. <p>Bitching is a team sport on copy desks. It does not at all mean we don't love it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:50 am 

But I'd really like to know how you expect your colleagues to deal with your constant bitching.
******<p>Bumf is leaving tomorrow for a weeklong cruise in the Bahamas, where he'll no doubt complaint about the quality of the canapes and the consistency of the lobster bisque. Bon voyage!<p>Constant griping (by co-workers) can be toxic or entertaining, depending on one's sense of humor. I'm just grateful he keeps his bitching to a reasonable volume. I can't say the same for everyone who works here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:23 am 

Newsroom whining is poison.<p>It harms the whiner and everyone else in the room, and it doesn't solve legitimate complaints. It exacerbates them.<p>Misery is NOT an inevitable consequence of working as a newspaper copy editor. <p>Misery IS inevitable for people in any profession who choose to make it so.<p>[ May 27, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:22 am 

I don't think whining is the problem so much as negativity and the ability to play nice. <p>I've seen people who were supremely talented and deserved promotion on journalism merit alone but never got bumped up because they were forever reacting badly to changes in their pages or lineups or schedule or any of the other 10 zillion reasons things aren't the same every day. <p>I've also seen newsrooms run by dipshit tyrants who kept their staff in a constant state of angst by playing headgames, playing favorites or just playing dumb. These were the hardest to work in. <p>The best desks are the ones where people can still joke around when the pressure's highest, and people can forgive their co-workers for being a bit crazy on deadline. And where people take their work seriously but not themselves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:50 pm 

Bumf, those of us who started in the business at age19 more than (mumble) years ago are entitled to do a bit of complaining. It was never supposed to be a civilized job. I remember one ME here who, when told by a member of the public that one of his reporters (who shall remain nameless) was argumentative and disreputable, roared back that we were SUPPOSED to be like that. I almost liked the guy for that.<p>As for conflict ... that's what make the world go 'round.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:02 am 

I've worked in newspapers for about eight years now, and to tell the truth I like working holidays. Sure, the extra pay is nice, but Thanksgiving was quiet (if you discount the RV that was driving down I-95 on fire, the backup it caused, the fender-bender that followed, and the grapefruit truck that tried to avoid all the cars that suddenly stopped, and lost its load) and I got a lot of work done.<p>Back in my other life, I worked for the post office and hated the holidays, too. Lots of pressure, lots of extra work, lots of extra semi-literate management running around looking to cause trouble, and the Phil Spector Xmas album on the PA constantly. I almost went postal over that.<p>Even for all my griping, newspapers are a lot more fun than sorting packages.<p>I work all the holidays and refuse comp time, preferring to take the money. Call me nuts, but working on Xmas Day and New Year's Day gets me ahead for the following week.<p>And this year, I'm off the two days after Xmas Day and New Year's Day.<p>I think of it like this: At least I have a job to complain about this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lostinspace:

Back in my other life, I worked for the post office and hated the holidays, too. Lots of pressure, lots of extra work, lots of extra semi-literate management running around looking to cause trouble, and the Phil Spector Xmas album on the PA constantly. I almost went postal over that.
<hr></blockquote><p>Actually, now that the postal employees have calmed down, rampages are called "Going Spector."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
Newsroom whining is poison.<hr></blockquote><p>Speaking as someone who once perfected the art of newsroom whining, I could not agree more about the potentially corrosive atmosphere of newsrooms. Where I work now, problems are resolved as soon as they come up. Whining is not necessary (nor tolerated). People tell me that they actually *like* coming to work (but then again, I'm the boss, so there might be some sucking up going on, too).<p>But, our friend Bumfketeer is engaging in a little bit of healthy steam blowing. If I worked where he works, I'd still be whining.<p>[ December 01, 2003: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:51 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Betz:
<p>But, our friend Bumfketeer is engaging in a little bit of healthy steam blowing. December <p><hr></blockquote><p>And there ain't a damn thing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Betz:
<p>But, our friend Bumfketeer is engaging in a little bit of healthy steam blowing.
[ December 01, 2003: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]
<hr></blockquote><p>Right. That's why I didn't take issue with anyone’s specific complaints in this thread. My caution is against allowing healthy steam blowing to metastasize into a culture of chronic misery. Several posts in this thread seem to have embraced the sort of environment that can lead a copy desk down that road.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:19 pm 

<p>Where I work now ... whining is not necessary (nor tolerated). <hr></blockquote><p>... That you, the Boss, are aware of.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:51 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
I The best desks are the ones where people can still joke around when the pressure's highest, and people can forgive their co-workers for being a bit crazy on deadline. And where people take their work seriously but not themselves.<hr></blockquote>
to abuse latin a little ... quod erat demonstrandum, Tom. Or as we say here, ''king oath, mate''.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:00 am 

I can't really complain. I was able to take Thanksgiving off, along with a few days afterwards, but I will be working Christmas Eve/Day and New Year's Eve/Day.<p>I noticed that in 2004, those holidays fall on my usual weekend. Heh. I bet I get called in to work for someone else.<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:16 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmcg:
<p>... That you, the Boss, are aware of.<hr></blockquote><p>If there's a problem, McGrath, let's sit down and discuss it in my office. I think we can fix it together.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:54 am 

<p>If there's a problem, McGrath, let's sit down and discuss it in my office. I think we can fix it together.<hr></blockquote><p>***Or should I just go f*** myself?***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:26 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>***Or should I just go f*** myself?***<hr></blockquote><p>That's what happens when we decide we can't fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:17 pm 

An anecdote for ye poor winter and office-bound folk.
In the days when Sydney was an even more competitive newspaper town than today, there was an enthusiastic Daily Mirror news editor called Hugh Bingham.
It had been a long hot summer of completely blue skies.
Bingham saw a cloud in the sky and duly instructed the reporter ''follow that cloud''.
Which the reporter duly did for more than 50 miles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:35 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
Bingham saw a cloud in the sky and duly instructed the reporter ''follow that cloud''.
Which the reporter duly did for more than 50 miles.
<hr></blockquote><p>Just 50? What a slacker.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:50 pm 

It was an afternoon paper and he was past its bedtime when he got to Wollongong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:55 pm 

At the risk of pushing Bumfketeer over the edge, I will reveal that a senior editor at his paper (where I used to work) turned down my offer to fill in over the holidays. This year only (don't ask), my non-newspaper job gives me Dec. 22 through Jan. 2 off, so I was looking for something to do and thought it might be fun to work on a copy desk again.<p>"We don't use part-timers," he said. <p>>Huge papers with no added staffing. Vacations, which make already
>calamitous understaffing even worse. The occasional sick day taken by a
>co-worker who gets ill due to the bad weather here, or who selfishly
>decides to take one "because it's there."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:16 am 

I don't mind working Thanksgiving bc being European it doesnt mean much to me. Christmas, my friend comes, we pull crackers, and plus, World Idol will be on so I dont want to miss that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:59 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ramblerdan:
A senior editor at his paper (where I used to work) turned down my offer to fill in over the holidays. ... "We don't use part-timers," he said.
<hr></blockquote><p>Some might note that senior editors themselves often
function more like part-timers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:10 pm 

Back from the Caribbean. Glad to see this has been a productive thread.<p>My steam-blowing is, indeed, steam-blowing. While we have one or two people here who insist on a culture of negativity, my bitching is good-natured and it is well-known that it is not to be taken seriously.<p>Rambler, would have been nice to have spent some time on the desk with you again.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]