Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Now you know.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:02 pm 

This silly (and closed) poll from smh.com.au, the Sydney Morning Herald's website that otherwise has a lot going for it:<p>Disclaimer:
This poll is not scientific and reflects the opinion only of visitors who have chosen to participate. Reasonable efforts have been made to make the voting process secure<p>Company perks : Rate the best perks<p>Car - 100%
Gym membership - 0%
Club membership - 0%
Mobile phones - 0%
School fees - 0%
Training - 0%
Free tickets - 0%
Uniforms - 0%
Stationery - 0%
Meals - 0%
Total Votes: 1 Poll date: 19/11/03

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Now you know.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:58 pm 

You're kidding, right? This can't be serious, not even in Sydney. ONE VOTE? And they let this run?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:12 pm 

Alas no. Have a look.
It wasn't in the printed paper though.
On that same page this gem:<p>Executive pay : What's David Murray worth?
$100,000-$200,000 - 0%
$200,000-$500,000 - 0%
$500,000-$1m - 0%
Total Votes: 0 Poll date: 02/10/03<p>[Mr Murray is the chief executive of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, a publicly listed trading bank and financial services firm.]<p>[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:41 pm 

You know, I'm a huge fan of online newspapers -- I mean the concept, not always the execution. (Where I work is associated with one of the worst examples -- I won't embarrass myself by saying which one.) Handled right, say like the Guardian Universal, or even the Daily Telegraph, to pick two I spend time on, they are a great addition to the print version. But ... (and isn't there always a but) SOMEONE has to be paying attention to the details.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:32 pm 

The Sydney Morning Herald site is part of the f2 network, for which an investment of a few hundred million dollars is now starting to deliver substantial cash flows.
The sites enhance our group's metropolitan, regional and suburban papers in terms of print circulation and print advertising revenue.
As a result the suburban paper spend most of my working week is running at 40-year records in terms of paper sizes edition sizes - 648 pages last week, four-colour on every page - and the daily I do casual work for flourishes.
Like Guinness, that's got to be good for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:49 pm 

Man, I'm jealous. What's it like to work for an outfit that actually pours money INTO an operation, rather than stripping it, to increase profitability? I mean, the concept of long-range planning and profits appears to utterly escape the dolts who own us. I envy you there in the Antipodes. BTW, how many papers are associated with f2?<p>As for the SMH, I have actually been on the site, and I found it to be accessible and user-friendly -- two of my major criteria. I don't believe I've ever seen the print version.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:50 pm 

There are about 50 publications associated with f2. Our New Zealand operation has about 70 publications, with varying degrees of online content at stuff.co.nz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:39 pm 

Cool.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]