Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Great Terror Continues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:50 pm 

Well, today is the day. Today, our areas will receive what the company is terming a "white-glove inspection." A manager told me that the bigger bosses are going to penalize the middle managers for any recalictrants in their departments who fall short. I chose not to pry, but I assume this means a reduction in their bonus. Imagine...less money for a boss if the inspection team had found the left-handed golf club and months-old dish of macaroni I found under my desk last night.<p>The funniest part of this, to me, was a strident note telling us that there will be some sort of consequences if dust is found on top of reference books on people's desks. Seems to me that if a copy editor has dust on his or her reference books, sloth is the least of the problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Great Terror Continues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:37 pm 

I generally refrain from commenting on the Chicago Sun-Times, my former employer, because I'm not very objective. But I have no trouble saying that the Sun-Times has the filthiest newsroom I ever worked in, which means it was worse than Albany, Schenectady and even Middletown, N.Y. While it's true that trash was picked up a few times a week, the floors were strewn with debris that remained in place for weeks or months.
During a "remodeling" in the early 1990s, cigarette ashes were found around the old copy desk, where smoking hadn't been allowed for years.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]