Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Imagine That!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:26 am 

The world never ceases to amaze "Al" of "Al's Morning Meeting":<p>1 in 5 Americans Speak a Language Other than English at Home<p>This number surprised me. I would never have guessed that it was so high.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Imagine That!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:32 pm 

The more I read Al, the more he reminds me of Larry King. <p>
A few weeks ago, my bank urged me to try online banking. I did and I love it. ... Addiction is more a medical issue than a moral lapse. ... It sure would be interesting to see how many of your town's tickets get booted out of court because of sloppy mistakes. ... Deer whistles are fairly popular in rural areas. You mount them on the front of your car. ... There is a wide body of evidence about the benefits of music and arts teaching. ... Not long ago I was at a retirement home chatting with a woman who was more than 100 years old. ... It would be smart to keep an eye on the Pope. ... A study in Boston found that almost one in four children tested did not get enough vitamin D. ... Tonight is Rosh Hashanah. ... It turns out that even if the tire looks great, it may be unsafe. ... What is the link between a parent's performance and a kid's performance in school? ... Bipolar disorder is also known as manic-depression. ... First it was restaurants, then bars, now hotels are becoming off limits to smokers. ... It might be worthwhile for you to go back and see what your state has learned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:56 am 

Looks more to me like L.M. Boyd's Fun with Facts. (Haven't seen it in ages, but I think I got the name right.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:40 am 

ADK:<p>Yeah, it does call the Boyd column to mind. It still runs in The Record (Troy, N.Y.).<p>For those who have never seen this odd little feature, it consists of a bunch of meaningless "knee-slapper"-type facts strung together with no transition whatsoever.<p>I'll have to see if it's on the Web anywhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:43 am 

My God, Phil!<p>Well, you knew this had to happen. <p>http://spotlightongames.com/quote/grabbag.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
Looks more to me like L.M. Boyd's Fun with Facts. (Haven't seen it in ages, but I think I got the name right.)<hr></blockquote><p>Come now, Boyd's column, which still is in syndication, is much more entertaining and relies on facts rather than personal oberservations.<p>By the way, it originated in the Seattle P-I and still runs on its Coffee Break page, but under its original name of Mike Mailway. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/mailway/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:05 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JonScribe:
<p>Come now, Boyd's column, which still is in syndication, is much more entertaining and relies on facts rather than personal oberservations.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I thought the point of this was that the column does not rely on "facts."<p>[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:59 am 

Hadn't seen that. Christ, another good bit spoiled by facts.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]