Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ha!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:08 am 

Critics far outnumber supporters in public comments to date about Soldier Field II; in an informal survey, readers of the Chicago Sun-Times voted it the city’s ugliest building by a wide margin. (AP)<p>***Everyone knows that the Sun-Times building is the ugliest in Chicago.***<p>Image<p>[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ha!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:35 am 

Image<p>The stadium does look bizarre (from the outside; from the inside I have heard it is fantastic), but I think Bears fans are more concerned with how lousy their team is, not how ugly the stadium is.<p>And whatever happened to Donald Trump's plan to demolish the Sun-Times building and replace it with the world's tallest building? Editorial writers at the Sun-Times seem to realize it is often seen as an eyesore.<p>[Edited to reduce image size]<p>[ October 01, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:27 pm 

Critics always outnumber supporters.
Or at least they get better play.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:29 pm 

That's a fine-looking state penitentiary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:52 pm 

Did they build it that way on purpose? Was it a design by committee, with part of each member's ideas used?
Sorry, should be more respectful of architects -- they have to take math courses in college, and I stopped doing that after algebra.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:03 pm 

Technical Ali runs the show AND puts us to shame with sharp one-liners.<p>I've been gone from Chicago a year, and as hard as I try, I can't picture such a spaceship landing on the city's elegant lakefront. <p>But if it allows blue-collar stiffs to blow $100 to watch a winless team in state-of-the-art comfort (before the bitter cold settles in), then it will have been worth it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:33 pm 

I have an excellent mentor. :) <p>Frankly, though I've only been to Chicago once, I would think something less flashy and more classy would be appropriate. <p>Something modeled, perhaps, after Wrigley Field.<p>[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Ali ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:43 pm 

I've lived in Chicago for the last couple of decades, was never in the old Soldier Field and probably won't be in the new one.<p>But it is a jarring sight from Lake Shore Drive. Especially after all the beautiful landscaping and pedestrian-friendly work at the nearby museum campus.<p>The big local angle though -- there's no more trough in the men's room. City ordinance prohibits those type of facilities in new construction.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:08 pm 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blanp:
[QB] Critics far outnumber supporters in public comments to date about Soldier Field II; in an informal survey, readers of the Chicago Sun-Times voted it the city’s ugliest building by a wide margin. (AP)<p>***Everyone knows that the Sun-Times building is the ugliest in Chicago.***<p>For the record, the published rules of the "informal survey" specifically stated the Sun-Times Building was not eligible to win.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:42 pm 

Criticizing new architecture is like criticizing somebody's baby as ugly, smelly or noisy; it's not fair till you give it a chance to grow up a little. That said, it does look like somebody smashed an old George Foreman grill and dropped it on a serving tray to put by the curb on garbage day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:29 pm 

I find it amazing how the architects were able to design a structure that truly captures the team and how they play.<p>Go Bears.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:25 pm 

Looks like a soup tureen eating itself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:13 pm 

It SO doesn't go with the Greek porticos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:09 pm 

I was there Sunday.<p>To review:<p>* It looks pretty damned weird from the outside. There's definitely no fit with the rest of the city.<p>* It looks pretty damned nice on the inside. The press box could be roomier, though.<p>* Doesn't matter that it doesn't fit with the columns anymore. You can no longer see them from inside the stadium.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]