Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ha Ha
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:42 pm 

Is it me or is this too funny?<p>A hed going out in our paper:<p>Jobs Are Lost Under Bush

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ha Ha
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:35 pm 

That's an upstyle classic in the making. Is it too late to catch?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:47 pm 

So that's where they've all gone!<p>Sigh. If only it were that easy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:05 pm 

This won't happen when Schwarzenegger is president.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:37 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JonScribe:
This won't happen when Schwarzenegger is president.<hr></blockquote><p>He can't be president. Thank goodness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:57 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
<p>He can't be president. Thank goodness.<hr></blockquote><p>The big technicality, of course, is a clause in Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution-the one that states, "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President." On July 10th, Senator Orrin Hatch, Republican of Utah, quietly introduced what he hopes will become the twenty-eighth amendment:
A person who is a citizen of the United States, who has been for 20 years a citizen of the United States, and who is otherwise eligible to the Office of President, is not ineligible to that Office by reason of not being a native born citizen of the United States.
(The New Yorker)<p>Also, a Boston Globe story from Aug. 10.<p>[ October 06, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:15 am 

Two notes about that Globe story.<p>One, the article says: "The country's weariness about immigration itself must evolve." Shouldn't that be wariness?<p>Two, I rolled my eyes over Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm's comment that "Except for Native Americans, we are a country of immigrants." I don't know about the rest of you, but my parents were born here, and so was I; calling me an "immigrant" is ludicrous. If Granholm's PC gobbledygook is the best argument that the amendment's proponents can come up with, this proposal has even less than the snowball's chance I initially gave it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:52 am 

It may not be an immediate connection, Gary, but we are all descended from immigrants. (Save the Native Americans, of course.) You may have been born here and your parents may have been born here but if you go far enough back in your family history, someone related to you came here from somewhere else. That's the bigger picture she's talking about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:12 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
It may not be an immediate connection, Gary, but we are all descended from immigrants. (Save the Native Americans, of course.) You may have been born here and your parents may have been born here but if you go far enough back in your family history, someone related to you came here from somewhere else. That's the bigger picture she's talking about.<hr></blockquote><p>Everybody, including American Indians, came here from someplace else. Countries all over the world are filled with people whose ancestors went there from someplace else.<p>Look, I'm not saying I oppose amending the Constitution over this issue. But again, if this amendment to gain popular support, the arguments for doing so have to be better than what I've seen so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:06 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>
Two, I rolled my eyes over Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm's comment that "Except for Native Americans, we are a country of immigrants." I don't know about the rest of you, but my parents were born here, and so was I; calling me an "immigrant" is ludicrous. [/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>Except Granholm is an immigrant. Born in Canada. Maybe she is thinking of her future run.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:02 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aneye4detail:
Is it me or is this too funny?<p>A hed going out in our paper:<p>Jobs Are Lost Under Bush<hr></blockquote><p>Is that why illegal immigrants can still find work as landscapers?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]