Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Testy Ethicist®
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:57 am 

Jim McGrath's review (here) of "First Job," by Rinker Buck, touched on a question of plagiarism:<p>He applies for a job, with a revealing shamelessness, brazen sycophancy and fabricated credentials. The portfolio of photographs he submits to the Eagle were taken, Buck says, from a high school friend's work at Pratt Institute. (In a recent interview, with the Eagle no less, he laughs that off with a that's-how-it's-done arrogance.) <p>Darryl McGrath, an Albany writer and journalism teacher (and, yes, Jim's wife) took particular umbrage at Buck's fairly serious ethical lapse. She wrote to his current newspaper, the Hartford Courant, and asked what, if anything, would be done about the revelation. The answer from the Courant's editor and vice president (unidentified in the e-mail), provided by the Courant's ombudsman, Karen Hunter (whom I have met and like), was mostly rhetorical:<p>
I have 2 answers: We didn't know that he faked his way on to the staff of the Eagle when we hired him. 2. Should a youthful indiscretion in gaining a first job carry a lasting penalty? Should it override fine reporting and editing accomplished in the intervening 30 years?<p>Coincidentally, Buck appeared at a book-signing at an Albany-area store Thursday evening. Darryl McGrath was there:<p> I approached him a few minutes before the reading started, because it was not my intention to ambush him with a "question from the audience" in front of a roomful of people. But, a few early arrivals had already seated themselves and undoubtedly overheard the conversation. <p>I introduced myself, and he told me that the Courant had forwarded to him copies of my e-mails to the Courant editors. ... I told him I found it very disappointing that a successful journalist had gotten his career start by plagiarizing, and then bragged about it in a book. <p>He told me that what he did was "not exactly plagiarism." He must use a different dictionary than I do. On Page 37 of his book, Rinker Buck describes the quandary he found himself in when, well into his application process with the Berkshire Eagle, an editor asked him to provide a portfolio of photographs to back up his claim that he could shoot pictures. Mr. Buck writes of this request:

Excerpt: His demand for 'proof' of my photography skills irritated me, but I knew that I had to satisfy his request.
Done, I said, in the crisp, businesslike tone that I assumed was required for all reporters. "I'll send you some prints right away."
The next day, I called one of my closest friends from high school, John Bermingham, who was just finishing his final year in the photography program at Pratt Institute in Nwe York. Berm sent me a pile of his best photographs. ... Neatly arranging Bermingham's photographs into an attractive portfolio, I wrote "Copyright: Rinker Buck" on the back of each print, typed up a nice note, and sent the pile off to Morton." End of excerpt. <p> If that isn't plagiarism, I'd like to know what is. Especially as Mr. Buck avoids mentioning whether his friend knew that his hard-earned work was about to be passed off as someone else's.
Mr. Buck went on to tell me that I "missed the point" in his recounting this in his book. He explained that when you are presented with a "challenge" (his word) in a job, the important thing is how you respond to that challenge, and he went on to teach himself good photography skills on the job. Thank you, Mr. Buck. I wish you had been around when I was presenting factual resumes in my previous job searches; who knows where I might be today if I had applied your techniques?
I responded that nevertheless, he lied and cheated to get the job, and I thought it set a horrible example for my students at SUNY Albany. Not to mention what it did for the reputation of journalists in general.
He told me that "You're in a minority on that point."
I responded, "Not among ethical journalists." Our conversation ended there, and I left. He was clearly uncomfortable discussing this, and clearly trying to get me the hell out of the room.
<p>This is a tough one, and I'm not prepared to pronounce sentence, yet. I think Buck has to shake off the impression that his story was a cute one and confront the serious ethical questions it raises. Once he does that, I might have an opinion.<p>[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Testy Ethicist®
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:17 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
[Quoting Darryl McGrath, confronting Rinker Buck on his plagiarism anecdote, italics mine:] <p>Mr. Buck went on to tell me that I "missed the point" in his recounting this in his book. He explained that when you are presented with a "challenge" (his word) in a job, the important thing is how you respond to that challenge, and he went on to teach himself good photography skills on the job.<hr></blockquote><p>Would you believe, even Buck's rationalization for his admitted plagiarism seems to be plagiarized! From "Star Trek," no less! :eek: <p>For those whose nerd quotient isn't as high as mine, indulge me as I recall a scene shortly after the start of "Star Trek II":<p>A frustrated Star Fleet Lt. Saavik tells Adm. Kirk that the command test that she, Saavik, just took isn't a fair test of her abilities because it was a no-win situation. Kirk replies, "A no-win situation is a possibility every commander may face. ... How we deal with death is as least as important as how we deal with life."<p>Now call me crazy, but what Kirk seems to be saying is: When you are presented with a challenge, the important thing is how you respond to that challenge.<p>Later in the movie, we learn that Kirk solved the no-win dilemma by reprogramming the simulation in advance. "He cheated!" says Kirk's bemused son. Kirk replies: "Changed the conditions of the test. Got a commendation for original thinking."<p>Well, that's a great story line for a science-fiction movie, but this is real life. No editor who catches someone trying to pass off others' work as his own would commend the culprit for "original thinking."<p>Buck absolutely needs to come clean on this anecdote with a mea culpa. His passing off cheating as an instance of rising to a challenge is an embarrassment to the profession. Until he does so, his credibility is zero.<p>[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Gary Kirchherr ]</p>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:20 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr><p>This is a tough one, and I'm not prepared to pronounce sentence, yet. I think Buck has to shake off the impression that his story was a cute one and confront the serious ethical questions it raises. Once he does that, I might have an opinion.<p>[/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>1. Claiming someone else's work as his own was plagiarism, even if it wasn't for publication and his friend knew what he was doing with the photos. <p>2. Writing about it in the apparently self-congratulatory way he did (i haven't and won't read the book) blows away the effectiveness of any defense based on youthful indiscretion, because now he's a middle-aged, indiscreet fool.<p>3. He appears to be dishonest and a self-absorbed jerk.<p>4. He's blown his credibility in an occupation requiring it. <p>5. He's probably cost his current employer credibility.<p>6. Makes you wonder how much fiction might be in his clips, doesn't it? <p>7. There's a difference between being a former priest and being a priest who's not allowed to carry out priestly duties.<p>8. I hope someone at his paper has sat him down and explained the damage he's done -- and what that could do to his career in the long- and especially short runs.<p>9. His current paper would look stupid if it fired him for something he did decades ago to get a job at another paper. But the paper looks stupid if it defends him, too. And if he's blown his credibility with the public, he should try to get it back or find another job.<p>10. If he's smart, he's already working on a mea culpa for the op-ed page. And watching his back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:19 am 

In an e-mail to me, Buck said, "if you are suggesting I write a reply, I'll certainly consider it, but my general inclination in such cases is to just allow a "review" to stand." I responded:

I wouldn't expect you or any author to rebut the critical judgment of a reviewer. My interest is not in the literary value of "First Job," but rather in the ethical implications of the incident in question. It seems to have been considerably more serious than the typical wacky pranks that newspaper people pull; submitting someone else's work as your own can't be laughed off in this trade. Your story about submitting a thesis written by someone else for academic credit is at least equally alarming.<p>Oh. I forgot to mention that Buck, in the book, writes that a paper for which he received an "honors grade" at the London School of Economics was written by a friend in return for an "L.L. Bean parka that I'd brought over from America but found I didn't need over the mild London winter."<p>Buck hasn't replied.<p>[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:48 am 

OK, I admit it. Daryl McGrath and I ghosted Buck's book.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:08 pm 
I agree that Buck's indiscretion is damaging rather than "cute," but shouldn't we also be upset about the endless anecdotes from crusty old newspaper folk about drinking from brown papers bags in their desk, puking into wastebaskets, marginalizing and oppressing female newsroom employees, partying with sources, dating the people about whom they wrote, cozying up to power players, stinking up the room with foul, medically damaging clouds of cigar and cigarette smoke, etc.? <p>Seems those "affectations" still retain their romantic connotations without critical comment ....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:30 pm 

We might be upset with any or all of those things, but they're not what we're talking about here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:04 pm 
More on Rinker Buck's "First Job" book:<p>This review was published in the Nov. 24 edition of The Seattle Times (takes a while for East Coast-centric stuff to get out here by buckboard, you know). Reviewer Annie Ludlum writes:<p>"His account of his first awkward encounter with the paper's publisher and the Buck charm, 'creative deceit' and historical knowledge that prompted an eventual job offer, is delightful." (Was it afternoon delight?)<p>"I lived in Pitsfield, Mass. during the years Buck writes about in 'First Job' and, although I don't recall being aware of him and his writing, I knew many of the people and remember all of the major events he describes." (Guess she was the one woman inside city limits that he doesn't claim to have bedded.)<p>"I finished 'First Job' tickled to have been in Buck's company but infuriated by continuing instances of his snobbishness, self-centeredness and guile. Some of his writing seemed oddly graceless and cliche-riddled." (Not such a delight, eh?)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
More on Rinker Buck's "First Job" book:<p>This review was published in the Nov. 24 edition of The Seattle Times (takes a while for East Coast-centric stuff to get out here by buckboard, you know). Reviewer Annie Ludlum writes:<p>"His account of his first awkward encounter with the paper's publisher and the Buck charm, 'creative deceit' and historical knowledge that prompted an eventual job offer, is delightful." (rest snipped)<hr></blockquote><p>"Creative deceit," eh? I like that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]