Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Dr. Doolittle Times
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:48 pm 

Catwoman posts on another thread:<p>"instead we have information about the unidentified family's dog, which the "home's owner said ... likely died.""<p>Besides the absurdity of a "home's owner" being put in the position of speculating about an animal's fate, this graf reminded me of a similar rash we've had of animals popping up in inappropriate places.<p>Such as (paraphrasing here, because whenever I got my hands on them, Mr. Delete Key went to work): <p>A woman was killed in an early morning fire that also claimed the life of her cat. (Come on, for Christ's sake)<p>A family of seven and their dog fled the blaze. (Sorry to be a grouch, but a family of seven fleeing a fire is news. A dog fleeing is neither news nor interesting)<p>And my favorite: Two people were killed Thursday when a light plane crashed into a wooded area in Washington County. A dog on board also was believed killed, authorities said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Dr. Doolittle Times
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:57 am 

I bet more readers cared about the cat than the person. People die in newspaper fires all the time; readers have cats and identify with them.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]