Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thanks to the miracle of AP ....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:46 pm 
... you know know the following about Saddam Hussein:<p>-- Saddam, dressed in a dark suit, sat across a table from Benn in a gilded chair in front of a curtain and a white, black and red Iraqi flag with three green stars. Occasionally he turned a pen in his hands, lining it up precisely on a green book on the table before him.<p>-- The Iraqi leader spoke slowly in precise, careful tones, his voice at times falling very low, as he sipped from a cup of Arabic coffee in what appeared to be a room in one of his palaces.<p>*** I hope the U.S. intelligence community has been thoroughly briefed on this vital material.

Post subject: Re: Thanks to the miracle of AP ....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:29 am 

The newspaper I plucked from my frozen doorstep this morning contained a photograph of Saddam Hussein dressed in a dark suit, seated in a gilded chair in front of a curtain and sipping from a coffee cup.
So I agree, the AP's description seems reasonably accurate. Or was that not your point? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:09 pm 
My point is that such descriptions were fatuous, superfluous and unnecessary. It's news, not a Barbara Walters chat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:35 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
My point is that such descriptions were fatuous, superfluous and unnecessary. It's news, not a Barbara Walters chat.<hr></blockquote><p>Usually, I would agree, but I am not bothered by the sartorial details in this case, assuming they were not overemphasized. The worst example of this kind of thing that I encountered: In the lede or 2nd graf of a story about a teenage girl who shot her father to death, the reporter worked in that she appeared at her arraignment wearing yellow ankle socks.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]