Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Magpies and picas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:51 pm 

In updating the stylebook at my paper, I came across this information in the "pica" entry:<p>The etymology of pica is obscure. In Latin, pica means magpie. It also was the name given to an ecclesiastical handbook in the Middle Ages, possibly because the book was the same color as the bird. It’s thought that some of these handbooks might have been set in type the same size as today’s pica. The rub is that none of the books that have survived are, in fact, set in that type.<p>Interesting? Yes. True? I don't know. Helpful on deadline? Not sure, but I wonder what sick mind took the time to include it in the stylebook.

Post subject: Re: Magpies and picas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:54 pm 

I don't know if it's true, but it's the best stylebook entry I've seen since UPI included the Seven Dwarfs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:59 pm 
In this era of full pagination, I think the pica has pretty much given way to the column inch as the only necessary measuring tool a newspaper needs. (The only use I have for a pica measure is a 1-pica "spacer" box I use to keep a consistent space between heds and body copy.) The only exception I can think of is if your paper is fond of, or prone to, using bastard column widths on pages ... then pica counts can be a good left-to-right markoff point -- for instance, on my paper's Nation/World page, the briefs packages take up slighly more than two columns on the far flush left of a six-column grid (something like 22 picas even). But I have a rule built into the page layout to demarcate that line, rather than a pica count, and I also use pre-built column modules from my Quark library.<p>Oops, I just went into hardcore design-geek mode. Sorry. But my point remains -- a pica pole in this day and age is strictly Newseum material. I kept my first one from college as a quaint artifact, in a box alongside a few rolls of dotted-line border tape, a hot wax stick and a genuine green eyeshade.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:40 pm 

The pica pole is the best back-scratching device out there. Don't tell me it has no use, pal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:00 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Craig Lancaster:
The pica pole is the best back-scratching device out there. Don't tell me it has no use, pal.<hr></blockquote><p>It also can be used to break into a locked car.<p>[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:13 pm 
I prefer a spatula for back-scratching ... the pica pole bends too easily just when you're digging in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:19 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
I prefer a spatula for back-scratching ... the pica pole bends too easily just when you're digging in.<hr></blockquote><p>When cutting company birthday cakes, break out the trusty pica pole. Actually, it makes a great straight-edge when designing pages on paper (a rare event for me).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:33 am 

I agree that the pica pole is a great back scratcher. It also is good for opening mail (especially boxes) and getting lost papers out from under the desk. However, it also makes a nifty fly-swatter. There's not much range on the thing, but if you happen to hit the bug straight-on, he's gone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:46 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Theothermike:
I wonder what sick mind took the time to include it in the stylebook.<hr></blockquote><p>That would have been my sick mind, actually.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:27 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pampellfw:
However, it also makes a nifty fly-swatter. There's not much range on the thing, but if you happen to hit the bug straight-on, he's gone.<hr></blockquote><p>They work well on roaches, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
a pica pole in this day and age is strictly Newseum material. I kept my first one from college as a quaint artifact, in a box alongside a few rolls of dotted-line border tape, a hot wax stick and a genuine green eyeshade.<hr></blockquote><p>We still have pica rulers, dotted-line border tape and hot wax sticks at our newspaper. We just went digital about 1 1/2 years ago. What's a genuine green eyeshade?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm 
What you've just told me makes me too depressed to explain ....<p>Please tell me you're NOT talking about the Bee ....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:12 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aneye4detail:
<p>We still have pica rulers, dotted-line border tape and hot wax sticks at our newspaper. We just went digital about 1 1/2 years ago. What's a genuine green eyeshade?<hr></blockquote>
You're kidding about the eyeshade, right?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:

You're kidding about the eyeshade, right?
<hr></blockquote><p>No, I'm not. I've been in the journalism industry for about 3 years. And no I'm not at the Bee.
I won't divulge which one I'm at, so as not to propagate a bad reputation. So are you going to tell me about the eyeshade?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:12 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aneye4detail:
<p>No, I'm not. I've been in the journalism industry for about 3 years. And no I'm not at the Bee.
I won't divulge which one I'm at, so as not to propagate a bad reputation. So are you going to tell me about the eyeshade?
<hr></blockquote><p>we wore these at one of my papers until the new newsroom's ceiling was repainted to reduce the glare.<p>www.successfulevent.giantpartystore.com/index.cfm/iProdID/54864/PageID/1257/iStartPos/16<p>[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]