Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The meaning of the word "is"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:57 am 

In my small-potatoes newspaper, we run brief news elements about local goings-on. We've been called by an office-mate on our sentence construction, which goes like this:<p>A writers' workshop is 9 a.m. Tuesday at Humdinger Espresso shop in Lacey.<p>My question is this: Does this construction freak anyone out? We could use "will be held" I suppose, or the popular "is scheduled for" but I lean toward expeditious. Any suggestions, support, tweakage, etc., would be appreciated!<p>Thanks,
Jeremy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The meaning of the word "is"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:39 pm 

Sounds fine to me. "Will be held" doesn't work because "hold" and its various forms should be reserved for something that someone has in his or her hands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jeremy O'Bryan:
In my small-potatoes newspaper, we run brief news elements about local goings-on. We've been called by an office-mate on our sentence construction, which goes like this:<p>A writers' workshop is 9 a.m. Tuesday at Humdinger Espresso shop in Lacey.<p>My question is this: Does this construction freak anyone out? We could use "will be held" I suppose, or the popular "is scheduled for" but I lean toward expeditious. Any suggestions, support, tweakage, etc., would be appreciated!<p>Thanks,
Jeremy
<hr></blockquote><p>Don't know the style or format you use for these, but you could take it out of sentence form:<p>Writers workshop: 9 a.m. Tuesday, Humdinger Espresso Shop, Lacey.<p>If that's not an option, I'd go with "is scheduled for." And I hope someone there makes a call before these things run to make sure they're still scheduled for the times provided to the paper.<p>[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Todd J. Behme ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:40 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pampellfw:
Sounds fine to me. "Will be held" doesn't work because "hold" and its various forms should be reserved for something that someone has in his or her hands.<hr></blockquote><p>Normally I don't inject myself in these "editor's toolkit" threads, but I'll make an exception here to laugh out loud.<p>Either of Behme's suggestions would work.<p>[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:19 pm 

I was holding my breath, phil.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]