Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sex and bacon
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:30 am 

One official has said there was a tendency to ``over-egg'' language in some parts of the dossier, a statement that came close to corroborating the claim made in the much-challenged BBC report that the government had ``sexed-up'' its dossier. <p>*You gotta wonder if this scandal would have led to talk of regime change in Britain and to a scientist's suicide if the BBC had used "over-egged" (hyphen?) instead of "sexed up." *

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sex and bacon
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:55 pm 

Perhaps it is because at this moment I am taking a 30-second break while in my ninth hour of slotting awful local copy, but I have no idea what the hell you are talking about, ADK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:31 pm 

Not to worry, you aren't the olny one. I've read it over a few times and I am lost. Maybe it is the lack of nicotine in my system? I'll try reading it again when I come back from my smoke break.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:48 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Not to worry, you aren't the olny one. I've read it over a few times and I am lost. Maybe it is the lack of nicotine in my system? I'll try reading it again when I come back from my smoke break. <hr></blockquote><p>Nope.... still lost.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:54 am 

One not need be a monarchist to love the Brit wit and their language.<p>This comes from an old Brit phrase "over-egg the pudding" which means trying too hard to make something better. (Putting too many eggs in a pud doesn't make it richer, it spoils the dish).<p>The point was that if the BBC had used the starchier "over-egg" rather than the hot-button "sexed-up" then there might not have been such a ruckus over the original report.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:25 am 

Thank you, Canuck.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]