Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: "such as I am" "than I am"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:59 pm 

regarding this previous post: Just came across the phrase "For a casual visitor such as I" and wondered whether the "I" should be "me." I probably should know this.<p>My answer is: it should be "such as I" because the complete thought is "such as I am." here is citation from the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)<p>Examples:
He is taller than I (am tall).
This helps you as much as (it helps) me.
She is as noisy as I (am).
Comparisons are really shorthand sentences which usually omit words, such as those in the parentheses in the sentences above. If you complete the comparison in your head, you can choose the correct case for the pronoun.NOT: He is taller than me.
(Would you say, "than me am tall"?)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "such as I am" "than I am"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordwitch:

(Would you say, "than me am tall"?)
<hr></blockquote><p>No. But your examples have nothing to do with the original question. "I" would be what you want if for some reason you wrote, "For a less casual visitor than I, ...." (or, "For a visitor less casual than I, ...." But for a casual visitor like me, "me" is correct.
Like I said, "Let your ear be your guide."<p>[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]