Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Presented Without Comment
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:41 pm 

The Columbia Missourian, which is run by the University of Missouri School of Journalism, is selling naming rights to its newsroom and sports desk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Presented Without Comment
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:58 pm 

I don't see a lot of difference between the (for example) Victor Lazlo Newsroom and the Victor Lazlo Professor of Anthropology and we see examples of the latter all the time in the academic world.<p>Both are funded by donations, both carry the name of the donor, both still work the same way they did before they were named only now the University has more money and someone gets his or her name said a lot plus invitations to boring University parties.<p>Maybe there's something here I don't see. But then, I was an advertising/marketing major.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:10 pm 

Yes, and someone decides he doesn't care for the negative coverage of the basketball team and starts applying pressure.<p>The wall is breached yet again. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:05 pm 

I would guess it's no different than an advertiser at a city newspaper deciding he/she doesn't like some story that reflects on his/her industry and applying pressure to management. And don't tell me that never happens because I've been there when it does.<p>Money talks in and outside the ivy-covered walls. The effect of its voice depends on the ethics of the manager/editor in charge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:06 pm 

The Columbia Missourian is not a "college paper." It's a general-interest local newspaper run by the J-school.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:31 am 

And the fact that it's a general-interest paper, run by the University, means....what? Whether it's a general interest paper or a general-interest psychology project, or a general-interest football program, if it's run by the University, the University can say how it's funded. <p>I guess I just don't see a problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:05 am 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by majorbabs:
[QB]And the fact that it's a general-interest paper, run by the University, means....what?<p>The paper is like any other general-interest paper, albeit with a very young staff. My current paper is run by KRT, which has much more influence in the daily operations than Mizzou ever did at the Missourian.<p>The difference between donating for the football program and donating for the newsroom is pretty simple: It's a newsroom Accepting funding for it is a crying shame, a breach of ethics, etc. etc. Let us hope they come to their senses soon. Otherwise, I'm taking $5 for your name on my monitor or phone; $10 will get gold lettering on heavy paper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:32 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mcjones75:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by majorbabs:
[QB]And the fact that it's a general-interest paper, run by the University, means....what?<p>The paper is like any other general-interest paper, albeit with a very young staff. My current paper is run by KRT, which has much more influence in the daily operations than Mizzou ever did at the Missourian.<p>The difference between donating for the football program and donating for the newsroom is pretty simple: It's a newsroom Accepting funding for it is a crying shame, a breach of ethics, etc. etc. Let us hope they come to their senses soon. Otherwise, I'm taking $5 for your name on my monitor or phone; $10 will get gold lettering on heavy paper.
<hr></blockquote><p>
What about press rooms in government buildings? Isn't a newspaper that uses those accepting a form of funding? Do they or should they pay for that office space?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:21 am 

I think there's a misunderstanding of what the funding means.<p>Let's pretend that the publishers of the Tired Times-Sentinel realize that the building they're in just doesn't cut it anymore. They put out the call for donors for a new building and Joe Schmoe, who always wanted to be associated with newspapers, gives them the 30 million or whatever it takes. The newspaper gets a new home -- the Joe Schmoe Tired Times-Sentinel Building -- and the news goes on, just the way it always has, except it's in a building with someone' s name on it. Certainly Joe Schmoe calls with "helpful advice" about how to run the paper, but so do advertisers, friends of the publisher and 27,521 other folks. <p>Funding of the Columbian Missourian news desk does not necessarily mean that the buyer of the name gets to run the news, anymore than the news editor's dissertation prof, the journalism faculty, the chancellor or anyone else runs the news. (At least any more than usual.) It just means that instead of calling it the Missouri Columbian news desk, it's now called the Joe Schmoe Missouri Columbian news desk and Life Goes On As We Know It.<p>I've been in higher education for 20+ years and while I certainly could be wrong, I don't think so. Will be happy to hear further updates on this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:28 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Todd J. Behme:
<p>What about press rooms in government buildings? Isn't a newspaper that uses those accepting a form of funding? Do they or should they pay for that office space?<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, we could take this too far. But there is a significant difference between these two scenarios:<p>1) Missourian sports writers use the press box at Missouri's stadium without paying for the "office space."
2) The Missouri football program sponsors the sports desk at the Missourian, and then the paper's sportswriters write about the team.<p>Which of the two do you think might affect reader's belief that the paper's coverage is free from influence? In a perfect world, we could be concerned with actual influences on our news coverage, not just perceived influences. Wake me when the world turns perfect. This is a no-brainer.<p>btw, Missouri was ranked fourth in the last update of the "Tarnished Twenty."<p>[ August 11, 2003: Message edited by: Tim Hathcock ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:45 am 

Of course life would go on as we know it.<p>But the appearance would be that the Joe Schmoe newsroom is run by Joe. And it's all about keeping up appearances, isn't it?<p>Unless we're all giving the readers too much credit in caring about who puts the news in readable form. Hmmm.<p>(Mizzou ranked in the top five of something! Woo Hoo!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:13 pm 

No, I don't think most people would assume the newsroom is run by Joe. A few will, but it depends on how the newsroom chooses to use the name in its publicity.<p>Do you also believe that NASCAR's Pepsi-Cola 400 (or whatever it's called) race is run by Pepsi-Cola? After all, their name is on the event...<p>I suggest we let this topic rest.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]