Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dress for Success
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:06 pm 

Poynter's Chip Scanlon ("Chip on My Shoulder," get it?) has written a ridiculous essay about how, as a writer, he can dress any way he wants. This news flash reminded me of a "debate" on the old ACES bulletin board (the one that was killed because of a persistent flame-thrower). A copy desk chief, in explaining the "dress code" imposed on her staff, insisted that reporters won't respect a poorly dressed copy editor, which of course is nonsense.
I have learned since that many copy desks impose "dress codes." My unscientific survey led to the conclusion that the smaller a newspaper is, the more likely it is to tell its people how to dress.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dress for Success
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:56 pm 

I would have to agree with that conclusion. When I worked at a small Gannett paper, the "dress code" was all business - nylons, ties, uncomfortable shoes, etc. At my current paper, a mid-size KR, most dress in biz casual but "dressing for the position you want" does make an appearance. The "rules" aren't written but a sports copy editor was told he couldn't wear shower shoes and sagging shorts anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:32 pm 

I am more of Brooks Brothers man myself. Altough I have a weakness for a nice-fitting Armani suit from time to time. Also, as blanp knows, I also have a fondness for nice shoes. <p> Most folks around here go with business or casual business attire, but we have no formal dress code. (We tried that once and everybody just laughed.)<p> I don't even mind jeans, but flip-flops and baggy shorts would be a bit much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:51 pm 

If I could look half as sharp as Dasher does without even trying, I would of course join him at Brooks Brothers. The dress code that was attempted in Chicago was mainly aimed at one reporter who generally appeared at work (and in the "field") as the biker he was. The "code" was lifted after general laughter, and in a touch of "irony," the reporter began wearing tailored suits.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:32 pm 

I used to work with a guy who favored polo shirts that had odd lumps under them from the complicated truss he wore. From time to time he was told to wear a tie and showed up in ghastly belly-warmers that must've been older than I was; management eventually settled on a reasonable string tie. That paper was tiny.
After 10 years of wearing ties I kept up the habit for six months after I came here, until I realized how stiff the "office casual" rule really was -- and also realized that I was going to get the same amount of grief regardless of what I wore around my neck. Sentimentally, I cleaned them all and stuck them in the attic.
When I lose all my teeth and am reduced to wearing polo shirts over my own complicated truss, I will get them out again to wear whenever Management starts to complain about my looks ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:02 pm 

Quote:
A copy desk chief, in explaining the "dress code" imposed on her staff, insisted that reporters won't respect a poorly dressed copy editor, which of course is nonsense.

Every little bit helps, however...
I've never worked at a paper with a dress code for the copy desk, altho when I was news ed. at a small daily, and new hires asked what to wear, I'd just say "whatever you want, as long as it's clean." We didn't pay much so I didn't feel as if I had the right to impose too many rules. At the Times, there may be a dress code for copy editors, but I haven't been privy to it. (and I'd guess that neither is anyone else...)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:30 pm 

In an exception to blanp's theory, the smallest paper I've worked for let one copy desk veteran come to work in a Rolling Stones t-shirt, vintage 1989, complete with holes. But I imagine a dress code was not high on that paper's list of things to worry about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:13 am 

I am not only a well-known violator of "dress codes;" I have actually managed to get one scuttled.<p>In Albany, there is no set dress code. Some of the worst-dressed copy editors in the business have worked here, and I include myself in that number. The one concession is that I usually wear long pants on "business days" (meaning not Saturdays or Sundays) and usually make a half-assed attempt to dig out a shirt with something vaguely resembling a collar on those days.<p>I didn't own a pair of socks for seven years.<p>Oh, yeah...the scuttling of the dress code. This was in Syracuse, which also is Pete Z.'s former paper. I was metro editor at the time. There was an edict that we had to wear ties. So I went to yard sales and bought horrific ties that scared the shit out of my wife when she saw them hanging in the closet, and I picked up a couple of those ridiculous Western bolo string ties, one of which had the strings coming from a steer's nostrils.<p>After about three weeks of wearing this stuff, the tie policy was rescinded. I still have one of the ties and wear it when I am bored.<p>Frankly, any reporter who doesn't "respect" me because I spent my money raising my kids rather than buying clothes for myself can kiss my ass.<p>[ August 12, 2003: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:55 pm 

Jeez, I thought I was telling a story about the Oneonta Star; but Bumf is right, it happened in Syracuse, too. Probably the reason that people still work in journalism is that they repress these things ...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]