Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:45 pm 

Any explanations as to how and why the dead Baylor basketball player went from Texas cop news to a major national story, or at least a major sports story?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:08 pm 

That puzzled me too. I figured I was biased because I hate basketball and thus was not interested in the story.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:22 pm 

Well, the judges put a gag order on the Laci Peterson case (another local out-of-control cops story). And we have to have some "high-profile" police drama to "cover."<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Hawkeye ]</p>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:36 pm 

Murdered player from a Big 12 program. It qualifies as "news," much more so than that California case. (Len Bias was a story because he was a basketball celebrity.)
That said, I assume it will be wildly overplayed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:40 pm 

Yeah, you are right about that one, Hawkeye. My Roto-rooter man killed his wife because he was tired of there being shit in the catbox all the time. He dumped her in the river and it took months before they found the body and were able to charge him.<p>She was pregnant too, I think. To add to the circus, a woman fell in love with him after seeing him on TV during "news" footage and he wound up marrying her while awaiting his 99 years-to-life sentence.<p>This is at least as sensational as the Peterson case, and to my knowledge the story never got beyond local coverage.<p>Dead over cat shit. Imagine that.<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:

Dead over cat shit. Imagine that.
<hr></blockquote><p>I'll bet there's more to it than that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:16 am 

Probably, but that would be enough for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:29 am 

There's no DOA in team?<p>More seriously, it is pretty remarkable for one teammate to be accused of killing another. Although it's one step up from all the workplace/school shootings that seem to be a regular part of life.<p>And it's bubbled up more in what some would call quiet news periods. But just tell that to families with someone in Iraq.<p>Is there anything worse than the intersection of sports and news?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:21 am 

The Dennehy story also cuts a swath across the southern United States. He played two years here at UNM, transferred to Texas, and the suspect(s) may have lammed it in his SUV to Maryland, where charges were filed. Dennehy was born in Northern California.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:31 pm 

All well and good. But not being a basketball fan, I would find the story interesting at two times, maybe: when he disappears and when the corpse is found.<p>Other than that, the huge nosepickers about the case were utterly uninteresting, at least to me. <p>I agree the case deserved some degree of national coverage. But I think it was way over the top. And the Peterson thing? I'll never figure out the fascination there. Sadly, that sort of thing happens all the time. Cat shit or no cat shit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:55 pm 

Well,maybe the Baylor thing is national news because it's such a wonderful cautionary tale. Despite all the dreadfully dumb & dangerous things I've done in my life, I've never headed out for target practice with an armed, unstable colleague. But now I'll be doubly on my guard. In fact, this would be a great topic for Al's Morning Meeting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:33 pm 

The Patrick Dennehy saga took quite a twist over the weekend with the revelations of Coach Dave Bliss, secretly taped, sounding like a mob boss in his attempt to pin the Baylor program's crimes on his dead player. One of the few stories that left me nearly speechless.<p>The leader on the story has been theFort Worth Star Telegram

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]