Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: There will always be an Ireland, STAT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:46 pm 

Quick..help me...<p>I am about to have a dispute with a rim editor who is going to claim that Ireland is called the old sod, and I see a reference for that in New World. I have always seen it as the Ould Sod and am going to ship it that way.<p>Of course, it should be changed to Ireland. But, letting the "writer's voice" prevail, what do y'all think: Ould Sod or old sod? Old sod sounds to me like leftovers at a grass farm.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: There will always be an Ireland, STAT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:20 pm 

A Nexis search shows a mix, with "old sod" used the most, followed by "auld sod," then "ould sod."<p>Then there was this, in the Albany Times Union a few years ago:<p>THEY SEEK ROOTS IN THE `AULD SOD'
03/15/1998 Page: F2
Adoptees from Ireland struggle to find families because of lack of records<p>SAN FRANCISCO -- Every day, Larry Petre watched the car drive past his office window with a striking, redheaded boy strapped in the seat next to his mother.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:25 pm 

No one asked me in particular, but I say "auld" should be limited to "lang syne." Why bother calling Ireland any kind of sod--ould, old or auld?<p>And tell the rimrat to pipe down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:41 pm 

I agree....thanks, Phil. And after reviewing the videotape, I took the goddam thing out.<p>[ July 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]