Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Investigative Web surfing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:06 pm 

"Al" of Al's Morning Meeting discovers the E-vite site:<p>Here is a site that works. It is an electronic invitation e-mail. Let's say you are having a party, a gathering, an event. You create the list and people can respond online. It is free.<p>***What will they think of next, Al?***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Investigative Web surfing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:09 pm 

Al also reports:<p>A new study about obesity in Alabama revealed an interesting link. You would think that poverty would lead to malnutrition. Oddly, poverty and obesity have connections.<p>***Someone tell Al that obesity and malnutrition are not mutually exclusive.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:33 am 

There's no stopping the gusher of ideas that is Al. Today, he learns that natural gas prices are going through the roof! Surely there's an interesting local angle!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:37 am 

Al writes:<p>The Washington Post has a fascinating article about teens and headaches. I think this story would be especially attractive to parents and younger viewers and readers.<p>***Yes. That's why the Post did the story.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:59 am 

Phil...you are like a drug pusher with this Poynter crap. Just when I think I've managed to forget about this site, you post another link to it.<p>As in:<p>******This is a story that could lead you to something worth investigating in your own community. Who is your city/county/state cell phone provider and how much good is the rate? How competitive is the bid?<p>When the City of Seattle and King County went rate shopping they saved a million bucks.<p>The Seattle Times reports: "When King County and the city of Seattle recently went shopping for a new cell phone contract, they brought some serious bargaining power to the table: Their employees used cell phones for a combined total of about 8 million minutes in 2002 — the equivalent of 15 years of constant conversation."******<p>So THIS is what those folks in the glass boxes are doing all day...surfing for "blockbuster" "investigative" "ideas" while
dodging pop-up ads for "male enhancement products" and celebrity nudie sites.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:00 pm 

Concerning the folks in the glass boxes ...<p>A colleague calls them "glassholes."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Craig Lancaster:
Concerning the folks in the glass boxes ...<p>A colleague calls them "glassholes."<hr></blockquote><p>I came across "glassholes" in some cheap mystery novel a few years back involving the typical loveable/despicable crusading reporter. I vaguely recall the author was a reporter for a paper in San Diego.
I took to using it, naturally, at opportune times to good effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:05 pm 

I'm sure it's well-meant, but the trouble with Al's ideas is that for any group of people that follows the news and thinks a little, ideas are a dime a dozen. It's deciding which ideas to act on that's so hard.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]