Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mario Cuomo Didn't Run, and I'm Still Stuck in Albany
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:46 pm 

An AP News Analysis
By MARC HUMBERT
AP Political Writer
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Question: What has more than 400 legs and is more unpopular than Gov. George Pataki?
1. A centipede.
2. A millipede.
3. The New York state Legislature.
4. All of the above.
One could, of course, make an argument that there is more than one right answer, and given the sorry state of New York's state government institutions, it is fitting to begin with such a multiple-choice question.<p>***No, it isn't.***<p>[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mario Cuomo Didn't Run, and I'm Still Stuck in Albany
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:46 pm 

Yikes. We're well aware how may papers run
AP copy unedited. Let's see how many ppaers in New York run this one. Report back to us, say, Sunday night, blanp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:07 pm 

Ah, but it's an "analysis" piece. You know, the ones where we don't want to give staff writers space on the op/ed page, so we carve out a nice hole that could be used for real news and let them spout their "expert" opinion there.<p>Don't forget the label though, or people might mistake it for an objective news story, and we'd hate for them to think the often left-slanted "analysis" pieces are actually left-slanted news pieces; it would give us a bad reputation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 4Jfan:
... we'd hate for them to think the often left-slanted "analysis" pieces are actually left-slanted news pieces; it would give us a bad reputation.<hr></blockquote><p>So that's it! Comrade Humbert has been in a one-man sleeper cell for 20 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:50 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 4Jfan:
Ah, but it's an "analysis" piece. You know, the ones where we don't want to give staff writers space on the op/ed page, so we carve out a nice hole that could be used for real news and let them spout their "expert" opinion there.<p>Don't forget the label though, or people might mistake it for an objective news story, and we'd hate for them to think the often left-slanted "analysis" pieces are actually left-slanted news pieces; it would give us a bad reputation.<hr></blockquote><p>Say this for Humbert. He shows every sign of being a nonpartisan and even apolitical hack.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmcg:
<p>Say this for Humbert. He shows every sign of being a nonpartisan and even apolitical hack.<hr></blockquote><p>I won't say anything for Humbert.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]