Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: What's A Reasonable Hourly Rate? (work on a monthly)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:10 am 

I found the following ad online (an excerpt):<p>Searching for one amazing, knock-my-socks-off copy editor and one eagle-eyed proofreader for steady freelance work at a major monthly magazine...The hours are generally from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., but can stretch into late nights. <p>The hours are beautiful. Is there anyone who does not wind up editing late nights? That seemed like a statement of the obvious. <p>Please include your standard hourly rate and how many hours per week you are available. <p>Okay, folks, this is on what I need feedback. When I freelance at VT (a monthly + two annuals), Nick takes good care of me (I leave with money in my pocket and I'm never disappointed, but I don't have an hourly rate. He's my former supervisor, and he knows I'd come edit for fun, or if he needed a hand, at a moment's notice, because I love doing it and I enjoy working with him.).<p>Other than lack of health insurance, this gig is right up my alley. I've been working in an editorial capacity (Assistant Editor, News Editor, now freelance copy editor) since the fall of 1998, mostly copy editing, with a six-month stint as managing editor for another firm. <p>What is a reasonable standard hourly rate for a copy editor of my experience to charge? Thank you.<p>Edited note: Apparently, unlike some other UBBs, text attributes on this one require the closing bracketed /character in order to take effect.<p>[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Sarah B. ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]