Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Networking Strategy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:42 pm 

Good afternoon, all. I recently finished a project and last night I implemented phase one of my new networking strategy, in the hopes of landing a new position, preferably copy editing.<p>I went to see The Dead in concert, and I made an 11" x 14" sandwich sign and wore it as I walked the parking lots. The front sign reads: Copy Editor Available. The rear sign reads: Editor Seeks New Position. <p>I gave my name and contact info to two people last night, and passersby were generally encouraging (it beats sitting in front of the computer scouring job ads all night, too). I'm heading back to PNC (formerly Garden State Arts Center) tonight to actually go into the show, as well. This time, I'm armed with fresh business cards. <p>I'll be at the Dead in Camden on Friday night, as well, and I'm contemplating walking the parking lot at Jones Beach when concerts are held. Editors like music, too, right? :) Thanks for letting me share.<p>Sarah<p>[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: Sarah B. ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Networking Strategy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:28 pm 

Pictures. We need pictures.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Networking Strategy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:44 am 

Soon, soon! No one had a camera last night. Over the course of two nights of The Dead, I handed out four business cards - two to people who wanted help with books, two to people who seemed like they might actually call and have some sort of work for me. <p>I received a lot of encouragement from folks, including the admiration of a guy in the VIP section (I had purchased a Coke and fries and hung my sign over the Platinum Club sign, which then read "Platinum Copy Editor Available.") who said he admired me for going forth and advertising as I did. <p>After the show, walking the lots, my call was, "Does anybody have grilled cheese, Mountain Dew or a job? Have brains, will travel!" I wound up with a can of Pepsi Twist free of charge from some nice fellows who told me The New York Times might be looking for some editors. Image If only I had any experience working for a daily. <p>I've got some work tonight (hooray! pages!! I can't wait!) Image It'll be nice to get the old brain moving again. Nothing beats the thrill of production - late nights, discussions of early aviation and the Franco-Prussian War (Tim speaks, I listen)...<p>I'll be walking the parking lots at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ on Friday afternoon and hope to buy a ticket and get into the show, as well. I'd be at Jones Beach tonight to greet The Allman Brothers Band crowd, but I'd rather read pages than be a walking billboard.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]