Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: improving skills
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:57 pm 

I've been a copy editor/page designer for 5 years, with emphasis on the designing, and I'd like to improve my copy editing skills. Can y'all suggest any online courses I can take, or books I should study? There's no way the newspaper is going to send me to any seminars so it's up to me.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: improving skills
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:40 pm 

Not really a course, but you can try these:<p>http://www.longleaf.net/newsroom101/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:00 pm 

Memorize the style book. No, I'm not kidding. Take it a letter at a time.<p>By the way, when whining reporters complain about a style change in their story and you can tell 'em, without picking up the book, what page the entry is on, it pretty much shuts 'em up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:07 am 

The advice for writers is much the same as the advice for editors: read a lot, and then read more. <p>The more you read, the more you'll develop an eye for mistakes in logic, and facts and everything else. <p>Maybe talk to some reporters and get horror stories of stuff editors have done to their stories.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:35 am 

If you don't already, listen to what's said during your shift by those whose work you respect. Many talented folks mumble or yell or otherwise narrate as they edit; make the best of that. Others hold in their thoughts until a break arrives or the shift ends. Warning: Such rambling isn't unique to good editors. <p>If a slot editor or someone else edits behind you, compare what you turned in with the published version. Some people make printouts of their work for this reason.<p>If proofs are read and marked, ask if you may see them -- those with your stories, in particular.<p>Ask someone who edits behind you what you could do better. Many years ago a supervisor pointed out that 95 percent of the errors I missed existed in the last paragraph of stories -- an easily remedied shortcoming. His 10 seconds of advice stuck with me.<p>The suggestions made in previous posts here are good.<p>The key to improving is to want to, so you're on your way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:35 pm 

Jackie, that's awesome. I keep the often-referred to pages marked in my AP book, but having the page numbers memorized just kicks! Bravo!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:15 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:31 pm 

The ACES Web site, I believe, as a mock copy editors test. It's designed to help people get a feel for what a typical applicant test is like. Maybe you could take it and then use it to see what your strengths are, what areas you need to concentrate more on in improving. Also, when folks go to conferences such ACES or API or what have you, see if they can bring back handouts. There are usually good handouts from these things. Another good Web site is Bill Walsh's The Slot. He's the biz copy desk chief at the Wash. Post. Has written a good book and has a good Web site. <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by monkey_brain:
I've been a copy editor/page designer for 5 years, with emphasis on the designing, and I'd like to improve my copy editing skills. Can y'all suggest any online courses I can take, or books I should study? There's no way the newspaper is going to send me to any seminars so it's up to me.
Thanks!
<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:35 pm 

Also, as far as books go, besides AP stylebook, I would suggest Strunk and White's Elements of Style. NY Times stylebook, and Theodore Bernstein's The Careful Writer. YOu can find all at a bookstore or on Amazon or other online bookstores. I like them not because they are well-organized, but they give you examples of use. And Bernstein's case, explanations of why things are used or spelled the way they are. <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by monkey_brain:
Thanks!
<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]