Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Think about it
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:13 am 

The first Testy Copy Editors International Conference.<p>When: ?<p>Image<p>[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Think about it
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:01 am 

Great Falls, Va.-Md. is great, especially when the kayakers are on the water. It's amazing to see from the air, too, as you head into National or Dulles International.<p>And the CIA is only a few miles away; talk about testy folks.<p>Many states and countries have a Great Falls, so we could travel to a new one every year.<p>Not that many of us could afford it, travel budgets being what they are these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:58 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:

Many states and countries have a Great Falls, so we could travel to a new one every year.<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>But Mysterious Montana has only one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm 

Are you serious about the international conference, or just funnin?<p>Imagine the effect on our publications if we all went kayaking the same weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:35 pm 

I never kid. But you may rest assured that if it happens, kayaking will not be on the agenda.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:42 pm 

Oh, good. I'm allergic to kayaks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:21 pm 

I bet bowling will be on the agenda.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:59 pm 

Can we have our kayak and heat it too? (Say it out loud for those of you who never get puns.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:09 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>But Mysterious Montana has only one.<hr></blockquote><p>Great Falls, Mont.: A city of about 58,000 located on the Upper Missouri River near a series of five waterfalls 153 miles north of Butte on Hwy. I-15. Home of the C. M. Russel Museum Complex, the Montana Cowboy's Bar and Museum and Malmstrom Air Force Base Museum.<p>web page<p>and rafting, for kayakphobes:<p>web page<p>When do we begin? I'm sure Montana is sufficiently Mysterious in winter, but perhaps our first conference there should be at a warmer and lighter time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
<p>Great Falls, Mont.: A city of about 58,000 located on the Upper Missouri River near a series of five waterfalls 153 miles north of Butte on Hwy. I-15. Home of the C. M. Russel Museum Complex, the Montana Cowboy's Bar and Museum and Malmstrom Air Force Base Museum.<p>web page<p>and rafting, for kayakphobes:<p>web page<p>When do we begin? I'm sure Montana is sufficiently Mysterious in winter, but perhaps our first conference there should be at a warmer and lighter time.<hr></blockquote><p>Hold your horses. I'm further along with this than you might think. I have to say that I was thinking of late fall or early winter, to take advantage of Great Falls bleakness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:19 pm 

crud, I have all my vacation time taken up this year. Could it be next year?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:33 am 

I've set up a conference page to get us started. Understand that this is all very preliminary and subject to scuttling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:58 am 

So do you want this to be a professional thing, or a weekend of carousing? Or some combination?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:04 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
So do you want this to be a professional thing, or a weekend of carousing? Or some combination?<hr></blockquote><p>The gut feeling I'm getting is "some combination."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:10 pm 

Phil, is this a joke? I grew up 109 dreary miles away from Great Falls & spent a dreary summer interning there. It's like the worst place in the world, certainly in Montana. Montana is such a gem. On the one hand, I wish out-of-staters would quit discovering it, but on the other hand, why not pick a place worth visiting as long as you're making that long flight through the Salt Lake hub or Minneapolis or, let's see, Denver.<p>Why not the beautiful college town of Missoula, or the historic mining camp of Butte, or the little-known ski resort at Big Mountain, or even Sleeping Child Hot Springs? Bigfork has kayak races & huckleberry jam & Flathead Lake. There's a fabulous whitewater rafting trip out of West Glacier that allows you to watch the march of history through the valley as the layers of rock unfold and twisted train tracks bear witness to the power of a mountain flood and bare hillsides show the creeping beauty of a forest that is healing from fire.<p>Great Falls is just... a rock lying on top of another rock with a very low dam on one side. I'm sure this is all an elaborate setup & I'm not getting the joke because my brain is mushy from all those freezes & thaws in the hinterland, but.... I'm puzzled.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:13 pm 

The terribleness of the place might be the point, a reflection of our bleak existence on the copy desk.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:22 pm 

If you want bleak, it's gotta be Butte...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:25 pm 

Yeah, I thought of that. But don't you imagine that the truly miserable love company & would therefore be made less miserable, and thus MORE miserable, by bleakness? Ergo, we must seek out beauty to properly illumine our own emptiness even to ourselves, leading to deeper misery & true happiness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:18 pm 

IF you want scenic beauty, come see me in California. Southwest has ridiculously cheap fares into Oakland and San Jose. Later this summer my wife and I are flying across the country and back, with stops in the middle, for less than $600.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
The terribleness of the place might be the point, a reflection of our bleak existence on the copy desk.<hr></blockquote><p>That's part of it. There's another reason, which I cannot discuss at this point.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]