Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Let us pause
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:19 am 

This lengthy New York Observer interview with the NY Times publisher is notable for:<p>** Its curious shortage of commas.<p>** Information that repeats.<p>** Mind-numbingly boring quotes, from beginning to end.<p>Are publications rushing copy onto the Web, denying them the scrutiny reserved for the final print publication and allowing them unlimited space? Or is this just the Observer being the Observer?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let us pause
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:41 am 

"Sigh." Now we'll have to read it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:30 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:

Are publications rushing copy onto the Web, denying them the scrutiny reserved for the final print publication and allowing them unlimited space? Or is this just the Observer being the Observer?
<hr></blockquote><p>
yes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:34 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
<p>
yes
<hr></blockquote> Yes on both, I suspect.<p>There was an attempt to allow that here for war reporting, but I am proud to say that I was able to prevent it from happening. It meant I did a lot of work from home (by email) on my days off and on my own time, but it was well worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:30 am 

"Leadership is what I’m looking for," Mr. Sulzberger said. "Leadership means not just telling people what to do, but empowering people to tell you what they need. The best leaders are the ones who know how to listen and then provide those tools. It’s leadership."<p>***Am I dreaming or is there a hint of Mayor Daley in there somewhere?***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:38 pm 

Richard J. or Richie? Daley, that is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:36 am 

Mr. Sulzberger, for his part, said he’d pick someone who was, first, "a great journalist;" and second, "someone who can manage a complex newsroom," now providing content for the local and national editions of The Times, a Web site, a cable television channel and The International Herald Tribune.<p>***As if the IHT will be named such by the time any new editor is hired.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]