Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Enough with the fashion reports already!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:43 pm 

From a Reuters story about Martha Stewart's indictment today:<p>"Stewart, 61, wearing a tan rain coat and under cover of a matching umbrella, arrived at the court house shortly before noon, sweeping through a crowd of reporters, photographers and television crews that had gathered in the rain in anticipation of her arrival."

Post subject: Re: Enough with the fashion reports already!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:00 pm 

Stewart, wearing a pale khaki-colored trenchcoat and carrying an off-white umbrella, had arrived at the federal courthouse in Manhattan just before noon, breezing past a crowd of reporters and camera crews without a word. (AP)<p>***OK. Was she carrying the umbrella or was she under it? Did the coat match the umbrella or not?***<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Stewart, wearing a pale khaki-colored trenchcoat and carrying an off-white umbrella, had arrived at the federal courthouse in Manhattan just before noon, breezing past a crowd of reporters and camera crews without a word. (AP)<p>***OK. Was she carrying the umbrella or was she under it? Did the coat match the umbrella or not?***<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]
<hr></blockquote> Hmmm. I just saw a picture, and in it her coat appears to be closer to off white, so I guess the coat and umbrella matched, sort of. No umbrella in the pic, though.<p>Sigh. Obviously there isn't enough going on at my desk this afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:08 pm 

I always suspected with Ms. Stewart that the coat didn't match the umbrella ....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:13 am 

Stewart, who strode into court wearing a beige plaid pantsuit and a beige raincoat with matching umbrella, pleaded not guilty .... (Washington Post)<p>***Why aren't these things deleted instinctively? I will never understand it.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:23 pm 

It should be a policy effective immediately to remove fashion descriptions from Martha stories unrelated to fashion. <p>The descriptions are snide allusions to her public personna and nothing more. We're better off without 'em.<p>On edit: I hurried and posted before seeing that blanchard has beaten me to the punch on this point. Alas, I thought I had him this time.<p>[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: tom mangan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:47 pm 

It adds a bit of color to an otherwise tragic story. Lighten up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:08 pm 

I remain unconvinced that the word "tragic" has any place in "the Martha story," except in the feeding frenzy of people who can't wait to see her convicted, just because of a little gilt Easter Egg fresco-ing in her spare time. <p>But then American Idol and Survivor didn't interest me either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by carola:
It adds a bit of color to an otherwise tragic story. Lighten up!<hr></blockquote><p>There is nothing remotely "tragic" about it. The Fashion Report is an old staple in court cases, and it is never appropriate, unless the defendant arrives at court wearing a clown suit or an SS uniform.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:03 pm 

Maybe they're trying to set up a Winona-Martha couture rivalry -- "American Fallen Idol"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:17 pm 

We seldom see the description of what the man is wearing. I noticed in the stories about the spelling bee that the second-place finisher's wardrobe was mentioned but not the winner's. unless we're going to say the boy wore black slacks and a white shirt(or whatever it was) we shouldn't report the girl wore red shoes and a matching belt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by thomrit:
We seldom see the description of what the man is wearing. <hr></blockquote>
Unless the report is about a court appearance. If I see one more description of an orange jumpsuit or a brand-new pinstriped suit, I will scream.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:34 pm 

You're all missing the point.<p>Martha isn't likely to wear tan or khaki or beige.
It was probably "desert sand" or "aged gravel" or "shaved kiwi."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:36 pm 

Perhaps we can all look forward to a new line of household domestics in indicted indigo and defense dusk.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]