Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do Not Write About Your Children
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:21 am 

It's bad enough when a newspaper indulges a staff member. It's a complete puzzle when an outside contributor is used.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do Not Write About Your Children
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:37 am 

In the early 70s, a couple years of my childhood was documented in a column my mother wrote for the Warren, Pa., Times-Mirror and Observer, where she worked as the living-section editor.<p>I can assure you that these people are doing no favors for their kids.<p>[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]</p>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:07 am 

Clips!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:00 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Clips!<hr></blockquote><p>On behalf all children who have been the subject of personal newspaper columns by their parents, the answer is "no."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:26 am 

On the other hand, my child wrote a colum for his college newspaper about my grief and coping skills when my parents (his grandparents) died. So, maybe the reverse works? As long as it's not cutesy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:12 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
On the other hand, my child wrote a colum for his college newspaper about my grief and coping skills when my parents (his grandparents) died. So, maybe the reverse works? As long as it's not cutesy?<hr></blockquote><p>I hope so. I wrote a tribute column to my grandmother for my college paper. It was probably sappy as all get-out, but she liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:05 pm 

No offense to those who have written about themselves or their families, because I'm sure many of the stories were touching, but this has always struck me as fairly lazy, and more "personal writing" than journalism. It's fodder for diaries more so than for newspapers. I think our readers expect us to dig a little deeper into what's happening in the world, not provide observations about what's going on at their dinner table.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:33 pm 

I think it depends how you use it.<p>In the case I cited earlier, an issue in my life was used as the McGuffin for a larger story about similiar issues in readers' lives. Not a news story, certainly, but worthy column fodder. Just because it's personal doesn't mean it's simply dinner-table discussion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aforr71:
<p>I hope so. I wrote a tribute column to my grandmother for my college paper. It was probably sappy as all get-out, but she liked it.<hr></blockquote><p>too bad none of your readers did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:36 am 

"Too bad none of your readers did."<p>Do you know that for a fact? I bet not. So neither of us like to read sappy stories. A number of people do (they have all the Yanni CDs) and for them, maybe this story had value. Even if it didn't, let's not snipe at each other about this stuff. I've done my share of stories nobody read, and not because they were sappy.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]