Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Objectivity overrated?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:43 pm 

*Sometimes I think so. From The Guardian:*<p>Despite all the Iraqi setbacks, information minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf continues his bravura performances from behind a forest of microphones at Baghdad's Palestine Hotel. <p>Wearing his customary black beret, and with rimless spectacles perched on his nose, he gave some astonishingly detailed and authoritative-sounding accounts of Iraqi military successes yesterday, including the news that US forces at Baghdad airport have been butchered and driven out. <p>This morning, he was on exceptionally good form. "Their infidels are committing suicide by the hundreds on the gates of Baghdad," he said. "Be assured, Baghdad is safe, protected." <p>During the war, Mr al-Sahaf has emerged as the only truly entertaining character in the Iraqi regime. It is to be hoped that he survives, because he really ought to be given his own TV show somewhere. <p>He will be a hard act to follow, but James Woolsey, the man favoured by the Pentagon to take over the Iraqi information ministry, is already shaping up to the job, despite objections from the White House. <p>*A former CIA director controlling information coming out of Iraq. I wonder if that's an improvement over Mr. al-Sahaf.*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Objectivity overrated?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:45 am 

I'd appreciate all that lovely irony more if I hadn't read a couple of web-loggers' comments that they found him more believable than the U.S. spokesmen.<p>Then there were the people at news conferences in the U.S. asking, days after it was obvious that plans had changed, when they were going to see some "shock and awe." I guess they were being tough. <p>Have you ever noticed that wars beget cynics? The crap-to-fact ratio gets so high -- on all sides -- that there's no other way to look at things. <p>(Then again, did I need to say that here? Sorry.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Objectivity overrated?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:05 pm 

*Another nugget from the Guardian*:<p>Tony Blair - his eyes flashing like an American evangelist - and President Bush - his eyes suggesting it was well past his bedtime - concluded their two-day meeting in northern Ireland yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]