Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Setting a high bar ...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:33 am 

Can't help but feel overqualified for this position.

Quote:
You also have to know the difference between effect and affect and when to spell out street and when to abbreviate it. If you're really, really good, you even notice when the reporter's math doesn't add up.

I'm suddenly feeling really, really good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:46 am 

It is some small comfort to know that there is still a market somewhere for such skills. I was beginning to wonder.

On the down side, the new hire will have to take away time from catching such mistakes to design pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm 

I might just be testy, but if my contribution to this profession is knowing when to spell street, then I've wasted two decades. Relatively speaking, so what? No wonder bean counters think copy editors are replaceable. Now, the ability to make good stories better is a skill worth lauding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:27 am 

Yeah, you're testy.

Not only do I know when to spell out "street," I also know the difference between "affect" and effect," how to make sure the math adds up, and other assorted ways to make a good story better. And I take pride in my contribution to this profession, thank you very much.

Bean counters who think copy editors are replaceable are fools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:27 pm 

From the ad:

"Here's what we want you to do: Design great pages that help readers move through the paper; package news to help tell the story visually; and write headlines that demand subscribers read the copy under them."

So which is it to be--we want to move readers through the paper (hopefully not like food through one's bowels), or we want them to actually read it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:49 pm 

lfelaco wrote:
So which is it to be--we want to move readers through the paper (hopefully not like food through one's bowels), or we want them to actually read it?

My proposed radical innovation:

1. Put interesting and informative stories, display type and art on the section front.
2. Hope that the reader knows how to turn the page after reading it.
3. Put interesting and informative stories, display type and art on page 2, grouping by subject here and within the section.
4. See #2.
5. And so on.

FYI: I'm available for consultations with paying clients. I'd be glad to write an instructional section for readers and your staff, including the intricacies of Step 2 (above), to accompany the launch of your and my paper's impending wonderful redesign.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Setting a high bar ...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:34 pm 

Powderhorn wrote:
Quote:
You also have to know the difference between effect and affect ...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]