Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Work on film set/newspaper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:41 pm 

From journalismjobs.com:

Quote:
This is an exciting opportunity if you've ever dreamed about experiencing the best of America's beautiful Southwest while in a great journalism market at the same time. We have two openings: Reporter; Sportswriter/designer

Recently, a documentary film team was here to interview us about our newspaper's powerful influence on local racial/cultural issues. Steven Spielberg is sitting on a movie-rights option with a story about Kit Carson based in our back yard. Here, yesterday and today are a live link, and the outdoors adventure life is the world's greatest!

Throw in a passion for journalism, and this place rocks! (Pardon the outdoors pun.)

We need a reporter, and soon we will need a sportswriter/designer. The beat will depend in part on your strengths and interests.

Whimps need not apply. We go after racial bigots and closed-minded governments, and the battle often gets fierce. The rewards, however, are tremendous.

Likewise, there is no call for get-rich-quick pleasure seekers who measure their careers in $$ signs, as we are an almost 20,000-circ. paper that stands as a giant here in the Four Corners, but not so impressive to those more interested in big-city shopping or salaries.

Still interested?

Imagine life right in the middle of a western novel: The magnificent Rocky Mountains within view and only an hour to the north. The colorful Navajo Nation only minutes to the west. High desert landscape with endless scenic views and spectacular sunsets right here in town. And, at an altitude higher than the mile-high city of Denver, the weather here is great, with sunshine year-round, cool summer breezes, dry temps and fairly mild winters.

Add to that: the annual Connie Mack World Series for baseball nuts wanting to see the nation's best pro and college prospects; the soon-to-return national high school rodeo; colorful American Indian festivals; hot air balloon festivals; some of the best fly fishing in the world; a ski resort an hour away; one of the most modern public libraries in the nation; an awesome indoor aquatic center that has hosted Olympic prelims; the recently ranked No. 1 public golf course in the U.S.; great whitewater rafting and...well...you get the picture.

This newspaper's HR person apears to be gunning for a job with the tourism bureau.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 am 

The film is named here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:06 pm 

Wat's a "whimp?"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:35 pm 

The repeated references to Native Americans as "colorful" makes me think the "newspaper's powerful influence on local racial/cultural issues" is for the worse rather than the better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 am 

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, far, far, far away ...

I worked on a small newspaper which actually was a film set for a week or so. They wanted a small paper in SoCal that they could pass off as a small paper in Northern California. It was about the Point Reyes Light and its Pulitzer Prize, as I recall. I also recall trying to accidentally make noise while they were filming in the next room. Yes, I was a grumpy young bastard. Now I'm a grumpy old bastard. And I recall something about Paul Michael Glaser (that Starsky guy on the TV series) and Linda Kelsey (reporter chick on "Lou Grant") being in it. Of course, my memories fade in time. This was waaaay back in the last millennium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:07 am 

trimtofit wrote:
Wat's a "whimp?"

One assumes they mean "wimp," but are too busy touting the great outdoors to proofread the ad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 am 

A quick check on IMDB reveals the name of the movie referenced by gunslinger as the immortal Attack on Fear.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]