Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Candy salesman needed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:08 pm 

From journalismjobs.com:

Quote:
Texas semi-weekly seeking crackerjack writer

The Williamson County Sun, a semi-weekly just north of Austin, is seeking an intellectually curious reporter with strong clips and an obsession for accuracy. Some reporting experience is preferred, but recent college graduates with dazzling writing samples or internships will be considered.

If I were in my 20s and had dazzling clips or internships, I wouldn't be applying to a semi-weekly, and I wouldn't be applying to rural papers with low circulation numbers unless there were compelling personal or financial reasons to work for little or nothing.

If a reporter is "intellectually curious," wouldn't he or she wonder if there was a better job out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 pm 

My guess is that some people might think the chance to be in or near a center-of-the-universe city like Austin would be worth it. Such as, people who have seen the movie "Slacker" at least 100 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:30 pm 

Or people whose idea of a music scene isn't running antenna wire up to the roof to try to pick up the classic-rock station in Seattle.

Also, Williamson County (pop. 249,967) is more suburban than rural; it includes part of Austin itself. And the Hill Country, which I daresay is the best part of Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:18 pm 

Location would be a definite reason to work at the Williamson County paper, but it is also highly regarded for its fine reporting and photography. Georgetown is a much better place than Muskogee where I first worked.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]