Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cambodia Daily
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:59 am 

This is either really cool or really messed up ... I can't decide which.

Quote:
The CAMBODIA DAILY, an independent English-language newspaper in Phnom Penh, seeks three experienced copy editors (minimum one year experience on a US print daily). Unusual opportunity to contribute to a newspaper in a fragile democracy (www.cambodiadaily.com). Ideal candidates should have a sense of adventure, prepared to commit for one/two years, work in close partnership with Cambodian staff and lead by example in furthering a free press. Knowledge of QuarkXpress is an advantage. Idealism, a sense of justice, empathy with the weak and a burning desire to challenge power and question authority is a distinct advantage. Pay is modest ($10,000 the first year), but includes comfortable housing in a beautiful villa with cleaning and laundry service, free medical care and four-weeks annual vacation. We don't just run a newspaper but assist in the rehabilitation of Cambodia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:00 am 

Politically Cambodia has changed substantially and beer is cheap, but expats will experience cultural, religious and dietary adjustment opportunities.
Beware too you may encounter the modern day, self-exiled version of a remittance man.

[i]remittance man noun History 1. an Englishman in Australia whose presence was no longer acceptable in England and who was supported by remittance from his family. [/i]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do they measure newshole with a pica Pol Pot?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:11 am 

Wabberjocky wrote:
... a burning desire to challenge power and question authority is a distinct advantage.

Seems like a higher bar than in the U.S.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Bowl of rice a day
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 pm 

It's legitimate, but several former staffers I know did not consider it a pleasant place to work.

If you want a taste of adventure, have a thick skin and have a bit of financial padding, it would be worth it.

You might want to read up on Bernie Krisher before you sign on. He's the publisher. And he's very involved ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm 

I don't know enough about Krisher to judge him, except to say that offering $10,000 for a job like that is an insult. And I will warn him that he'll get what he pays for.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:29 pm 

Phillip Blanchard wrote:
I don't know enough about Krisher to judge him, except to say that offering $10,000 for a job like that is an insult. And I will warn him that he'll get what he pays for.

One can live pretty good on that down there. The only hard part is getting back to civilization without the aforementioned "financial padding."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 pm 

That happened to me coming back from editing in Russia. The money was good there, but didn't do a lot for the savings account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 pm 

ISTR seeing an ad for an English-language editor in the Czech Republic or some such place that included a similar caveat: You can live OK on the salary, but you won't build up any savings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:59 pm 

Phillip Blanchard wrote:

Agreed. That's not much in excess of the retirement savings psrt of some packages

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bowl of rice a day
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:15 pm 

Will wrote:
It's legitimate, but several former staffers I know did not consider it a pleasant place to work.

If you want a taste of adventure, have a thick skin and have a bit of financial padding, it would be worth it.

You might want to read up on Bernie Krisher before you sign on. He's the publisher. And he's very involved ...

I have heard similar stories about this outfit myself. As with any foreign-language paper in the Developing World (or Third World or whatever), your pay expectation should be to earn enough to get by in an exotic locale and not much else. One advantage should be that, given the low pay scale, you should be able to freelance on the side. With all expenses covered by your "salary", the extra income from freelancing is what will pay for your side trips or savings. Cambodia offers many more freelancing opportunities than off-the-map places like Costa Rica or the Czech Republic do.
Certainly, if you must have your preferred brand of toothpaste or can't live without the familiar flavors of the neighborhood TGIFridays, then a job like this would be a complete hell. But if you are up for the adventure (and have triple checked to make sure you are up for it), then it might be a fun way to get out of that nightmare job you dread going to every day.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]