Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: We Want You, But Not Much Dept.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:55 am 

The Merced Sun-Star, a McClatchy-owned daily in California’s Central Valley, has an opening for a copy editor/news designer to join the night copy desk. ... The Sun-Star has developed into a stepping stone newspaper within the company, with many reporters and copy editors moving on to larger McClatchy newspapers after first doing great work here. ... Sorry, no relocation is available for this position.

*** By which I think they mean they won't pay you to move there. So they're limiting the candidate pool to perhaps a 100-mile radius because who in their right mind would move across the country on her own dime to work there? ***[/b]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 am 

Peter Sanders' Cities Ranked and Rated placed Merced at No. 370 on a list of 373 cities nationwide for "quality of living," according to the Modesto (No. 373) Bee. Not that those lists mean anything, really. But it doesn't provide any added incentive to move there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:35 pm 

On that list I'd probably invert the two towns, Modesto at least has a minor league (Class A) baseball team!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 pm 

larepublica wrote:
On that list I'd probably invert the two towns, Modesto at least has a minor league (Class A) baseball team!

Now I'm embarrassed. Who wouldn't move across the country at her own expense for the chance to watch Class A?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:49 am 

On the other hand, think about all the un- and underemployed journalists within 200 miles of that place. I can see why someone might think there's plenty of talent within driving distance.

Though trying to avoid paying new hires to relocate is kind of a nickle-and-dimey approach to saving money in the grand scheme of things.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]