Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: At the Houston Chronicle ....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 am 

A staff reduction in the five percent range, through layoffs and the elimination of open positions, is scheduled for Monday and Tuesday Oct. 29-30. If you have any questions regarding this program, I encourage you to contact our Human Resources Department. (Via Romenesko)

*** "Program." ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: At the Houston Chronicle ....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:58 am 

Phillip Blanchard wrote:
A staff reduction in the five percent range, through layoffs and the elimination of open positions, is scheduled for Monday and Tuesday Oct. 29-30. If you have any questions regarding this program, I encourage you to contact our Human Resources Department. (Via Romenesko)

*** "Program." ***

But isn't the first step admitting you have a problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:15 am 

"Range."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:26 am 

weren't they advertising for copy editors this year?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: At the Houston Chronicle ....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:55 am 

Phillip Blanchard wrote:

*** "Program." ***

A good soon-to-be-laid-off copy editor would have corrected the misspelling: "pogrom."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 am 

tommangan wrote:

The Chronicle has advertised at least once this year for "senior copy editors." I also got a recruiting call from them a few months ago.

From what I've seen, it's not unusual for papers to have layoffs or buyouts and to hire about the same time. Presumably, they're hiring for a different set of skills or a cheaper set of skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:04 pm 

Your general observayion seems correct. That's why such packages often have clause relatting to re-employment being prohibited within time frames.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:17 am 

copynomad wrote:
tommangan wrote:

From what I've seen, it's not unusual for papers to have layoffs or buyouts and to hire about the same time. Presumably, they're hiring for a different set of skills or a cheaper set of skills.

We just had a round of buyouts here and I asked the publisher and top editor directly whether that meant they were going to end up hiring less-experienced people later on. They both looked at me like I was nuts and with a straight face told me they hadn't heard that any such thing was possible.

And that was six months after our big papers sent out companywide e-mails soliciting applications for jobs vacated by bought-out folks.

So much for my faith that the bosses were more dumb than dishonest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:37 am 

Giving them the benefit of the doubt: Let's say they were told they'd have to meet a certain profit margin, so they meet it by cutting people. Then let's say they get the OK later to hire, but only for a fraction of the pay of those who left, they'd still take it. I know I would as a manager -- better some cheap help than no help. ... I'm not saying that's what happened in your newsroom. But I'm willing to bet good money that's happened in other newsrooms. ... You see what happens when managers refuse, like with the LA Times guy. I'm not saying I'd go along with that scenario, either. But I see lots of higher-level managers who've got careers and families to protect, and I wonder how much choice they have. I put myself in their place and I think I'd be in another field by now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]