Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cross trainer needed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:31 pm 

From the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association site:

Quote:
Layout/Copy Editing Position - The Record-Argus, northern Mercer County's community newspaper for more than 159 years, is accepting applications for a full-time layout/copy editing position. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, daily design, layout and copy editing of pages and photo editing. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing pages, including section fronts, and writing headlines. This candidate will be cross-trained in copy editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:53 pm 

I didn't need any training to be cross about the copy I had to edit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:32 pm 

Without knowing anything about the paper, I'd guess it would offer good experience for someone starting out who wants a career in design. It would provide a valuable taste of copy editing that wouldn't be available at many large papers.

It would be even more valuable if online experience were included. But the "successful" applicant probably won't have enough time for the responsibilities already listed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:22 pm 

I don't really have a problem with a first job being a boot-camp-style experience in which you're expected to do a lot of everything. I think it lays a good foundation for better future jobs — or it runs you out of the industry if you decide the frenetic pace and constant task-juggling isn't worth a career in journalism. Either way, that's good for everybody concerned.

The key is to recognize the starter job (and starter pay) for what it is — a place to bulk up your skills and bail out from within two years. It'll be hell, but it'll be constructive hell.

If you feel "stuck" or "trapped" in a job in which you've learned pretty much everything there is to learn, then usually you've done it to yourself. You've failed to plan for the future, or you've failed to set aside enough money to get out of town, or you've allowed yourself to be intimidated by the job market. Maybe you've let family or relationship considerations dictate where you go — or don't go. Maybe you've just gotten discouraged and don't believe in your ability to make it elsewhere.

I've been there. But I'm no longer there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:25 pm 

for more than 159 years

Why not almost 160?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]