Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two-in-one
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 am 

I don't think this job (from journaismjobs.com) is necessarily a nightmare, but if they want a good designer and an equally talented copy editor for one position, maybe they should advertise it as a "job sharing" position:

Quote:
The Kentucky New Ea, one of the best-looking papers in our region, is seeking a copy editor who can spot holes in stories and a designer who can make every page of the paper lively, and one person will fill both needs. We're a 12,000-ciruclation paper an hour north of Nashville. Ours is a learning newsroom with regularly-scheduled workshops and retreats. Because we're a PM, we offer great hours and a congenial and learning atmosphere.

The ability to think spatially and visually in a creative way and the ability to analyze language rigorously aren't combined in one person as often as newspaper publishers imagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:29 pm 

I agree. But that's never going to change, and there isn't a publisher or editor on earth who could be shamed now into separating the jobs — all they see are short-term cost savings (the kind that protect their year-end bonuses). Even some metros combine those jobs now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:24 am 

Wabberjocky wrote:
I agree. But that's never going to change, and there isn't a publisher or editor on earth who could be shamed now into separating the jobs — all they see are short-term cost savings (the kind that protect their year-end bonuses). Even some metros combine those jobs now.

On the face of it, this seems an excellent opportunity for career advancement for a wordsmith who wants to advance their design skills. Many are willing and able.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:16 am 

Ouch. Spelling one's own name wrong in an ad for copy editors has to hurt recruitment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:27 am 

Wabberjocky wrote:

We're a 16,000-circ. daily and we separate the positions (with a fairly small amount of crossover). Seems to me that it doesn't cost any more to hire a copy editor and a designer than it does to hire two copy editor/designers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]