Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Too bad Steve McQueen's dead
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:37 pm 

I've never written in a "blob." Will a fog do? And get them dang ishes off my lawn....

Quote:
Position: Reporter to cover younger readers
Qualifications: The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star, is seeking a versatile reporter with a lot of ideas and the proven ability to execute them to cover stories of interest to readers ages 18-45ish. This person is the main writer of stories for a section of the paper and Web site devoted to those readers, but he or she would also write for other sections of the paper and the Web, and on longer-term projects. We’re looking for someone who has written short stories, long stories, feature stories, daily news stories, breaking news — for print and online. We’re a growing paper (78k daily, 83k Sunday) and Web site (65k unique viewers/day) in a growing capital city (230k).
Duties: We need someone who can juggle a variety of assignments and deadlines and stay organized. If you’ve written stories in alternative forms (lists, charts, Q&As, charticles, text blocks, blobs or anything very different from a 15-inch narrative), we’re especially interested in you. And since we are, of course, a multimedia enterprise, video storytelling and other multimedia experience intrigue us, and we’re prepared to train you if you don’t have it yet. For an idea of the types of stories we’re talking about, go to www.journalstar.com/living/402.
Contact Information: Sound fun? It will be. Tell us about yourself by sending a cover letter, resume and clips to Lincoln Journal Star, Human Resources, 926 P Street, Lincoln, NE 68508 or hr@journalstar.com. The application deadline is Oct. 5.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:49 pm 

That ad has done wonders for my self-esteme, however. I fall in its category of "younger readers" (ok, just barely and not for long and I am not a reader of this particular paper but still, let me enjoy the moment!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:52 pm 

WTF is a "charticle"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:31 pm 

Quote:
WTF is a "charticle"?

I guess it's either a graphic masquerading as a story [a la USA Today, or The Onion], or else a malignant growth on one's chart.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:59 pm 

larepublica wrote:
I fall in its category of "younger readers" ... .

If you put enough -ish in 45ish, we all could (not to take any wind from your sails; just to add it to others').

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:28 pm 

Wabberjocky wrote:
WTF is a "charticle"?

A canticle that makes the Billboard charts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:16 pm 

So I should be fully prepared to sing "Scarborough Fair" at the interview?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:12 pm 

All right, all right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:16 am 

"anything very different from a 15-inch narrative"

It's possible to tell a story in haiku or limerick form -- it just can't be in-depth.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:40 am 

What genius first came up with the idea that newspaper readers no longer wanted to read newspapers, anyhow? Its not like circulation has been growing along with the newspapers' emphasis on alternative story formats with snappy names.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]