Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: No thanks, Tampa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:41 am 

Can't quite pinpoint why this ad leaves a bad taste. Perhaps it's "converged environment" or "if you do not meet these minimum requirements" or "you will never be bored." The tone of the thing isn't exactly enticing me to apply. Far as I know, nobody's beating a path to the crappy wages at the Tampa Tribune.

Quote:
The Tampa Tribune, a large metropolitan daily newspaper in a highly competitive market, is hiring a copy editor to join its Universal Copy Desk.

This editor must have at least five years of experience at a daily newspaper; must have a four-year college degree; must be flexible in regard to scheduling; and must desire leadership roles. If you do not meet these minimum requirements, please do not apply.

The Tribune is located in downtown Tampa in The News Center, a converged environment in which we share resources with an NBC affiliate and our Web site, TBO.com. It's a busy place where there are few moments during any given day that something is not happening. You will never be bored. Copy editors are increasingly called upon to edit for online, so if you want to take the next step in your career, this is the place to consider.

The position we are filling is primarily print-focused, but online editing experience is certainly a plus. It is a job that requires nights, weekends and some holidays. This editor will be expected fairly quickly to assume leadership positions on the desk, including slotting and chiefing main sections. Other leadership roles will be available to the person who shines in these duties.

The editor we hire will have a command of AP style and should plan to quickly learn Tribune style. The editor will have a proven track record of writing headlines that grab readers -- active and engaging headlines that draw people into our stories. The editor will be expected to voice concerns about stories when necessary. The editor will be an excellent communicator able to collaborate with colleagues on the desk and in other departments and multimedia platforms to ensure the best presentation of the Tribune's work to readers and viewers.

Applicants should plan on taking an editing test and submitting to a background check and drug test. This position is open to U.S. residents only.

To apply, send resumes and several headline writing samples to Ellen Wager, News Editor, The Tampa Tribune, 200 S. Parker St., Tampa FL 33606. You may apply online at ewager@tampatrib.com.

Post subject: Re: No thanks, Tampa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am 

Well, at least you know what you'd be getting into: A lot of responsibility in a hurry, probably without much training--after all, you're already supposed to be fine with "chiefing."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:40 pm 

I think this ad is more specific and honest than most. When I read jobs ads -- I read them every day because I like to know the market -- I get the sense that many hiring editors gloss over things or misrepresent how hard you will have to work. Across the industry, we're all working harder and doing more. I think that ad reflects a reality that few hiring editors are willing to acknowledge. I appreciate frankness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:19 pm 

It's more than a little disturbing to me that the whole tone suggests: "You should be happy we're posting a job at all in this wintry journalistic climate. No, we're not a great place to work, and we'll work you to the bone, but at least we have a job opening."

I understand that this isn't the best time to be in journalism. And I know that efforts to market the quality of life in specific towns and at specific newspapers are fundamentally disingenuous. But maybe they could lie, just a little, and act like Tampa might be a nice place to live and that some of the copy desk members are smart, interesting people to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm 

HedHunter wrote:
I understand that this isn't the best time to be in journalism. And I know that efforts to market the quality of life in specific towns and at specific newspapers are fundamentally disingenuous. But maybe they could lie, just a little, and act like Tampa might be a nice place to live and that some of the copy desk members are smart, interesting people to work with.

Wow, I really don't want that in a job ad. I like to hear about the city a bit, but I'd rather the job description be specific and honest. I think it saves everyone time, and it sure saves the paper money. As to whether a city is a nice place to live or people are smart and interesting, that's pretty subjective. I'd rather hear facts than opinions. And I think you're projecting stuff that this ad doesn't say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:29 pm 

Okay, so maybe I was exaggerating a bit. Point being: I want to know if there's anything good about being there, anything that would make me want to apply beyond a brusque list of skill requirements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:41 pm 

The ad's saying that you can move up quickly, take on responsibilities, work across platforms and with many people, not be bored, and live in Tampa. Although that might not appeal to you, that might appeal to others. An effective job ad also serves as a filter. If a job's not going to be a good fit for someone, better everyone know upfront.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:00 pm 

And I bet that one Web search will tell me more about Tampa than they could ever fit in an ad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:40 pm 

I'd be wary of going there. The paper's executive editor/VP eliminated the copy desk at a paper where I worked some years back. I don't know if she's learned from the experience or not. But proven support for the desk does not go all the way to the top.

Also, they laid off a bunch of people a few months ago. So they'll be constantly short-handed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:49 pm 

onceahack wrote:
And I bet that one Web search will tell me more about Tampa than they could ever fit in an ad.

I think the idea with job ads is to intrigue you enough to go looking for more info. The lesser-known the place, the more useful that kind of info. If you have a job in New York, Oahu or San Francisco, for example, not so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 am 

U.S. residents only? Did they mean citizens, or are they really thinking this ad is going to draw in so many foreigners that it's best to nip that in the bud?

Suddenly, I appreciate the whole "Equal Opportunity Employer" concept, even though I hate it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:24 am 

You get a surprising number of foreign applicants when you advertise a job. That's probably especially the case with cities on either coast. I've seen applications from Canada, England, India, Iraq, Mexico, South America and Thailand, for example. With Internet advertising, your ad is seen everywhere. You even get applicants whose only "qualification" might be that they've read a paper at some point in their lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:06 pm 

Maybe things have improved since I left the Trib in '93, but just to illustrate: I went back to my hometown paper -- a union shop with less than half the Trib's circulation -- and got a $75-a-week raise.

The certain knowledge that I was being underpaid -- particularly compared to what the folks at the St. Pete Times were getting -- helped drive me away.

In retrospect, though, I missed a lot of interesting stuff the Trib has done online and I often find myself thinking I might've been better off staying at the Trib.

So my advice would be, don't let money determine everything.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:56 pm 

I agree. From time to time, I see posts under "Nightmare Jobs of the Week" that sound like good opportunities for the right person. I think people are too quick to dismiss learning opportunities.

When I job hunt, I look for growth potential. Less than two years ago, I was making good money when I took a pay cut in real dollars so I could prove myself in a tougher job elsewhere. I learned a lot. I now make 50 percent more than I did in 2006, and I live in a cheaper city. I love my job and have more career options now. Following money would've cost me a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:42 am 

I can say without reservation that I would never post a job here that I would wish on anyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:15 am 

I believe you. I think opportunities often depend on individual perception and initiative. You regularly see this in business, where some people can read the market better than others, for example, even given the same information.

I saw a job posted here several months ago that was nearly identical to one I took previously. Taking it was the best career decision I've ever made, and I doubt most journalists with equivalent experience would have seen it as the opportunity I turned it into. In such cases, potential competitors rule themselves out, to my advantage. I have what many people would consider better career options. The difference is, those jobs wouldn't teach me more. I could've spent the past five years at the NYT, for example, and come out with much less in learning, money and career options.

Similarly, I've just hired a young copy editor from a small paper who's managed to make the most of what many others would see as a crappy job. From what I can tell from his test and tryout, he's learned more in that job in less than two years than some copy editors have in 10 years at much bigger papers. The difference between him and many other job candidates is what he brings in perception and initiative.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]