Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stockpiling Résumés Dept.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:24 pm 

Position Description: The Wall Street Journal is seeking a skilled
copy editor with strong news judgment to join the desk responsible for all three global print editions of The Wall Street Journal.
(ACES Jobs)

*** Of that I have no doubt. ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:44 am 

I think we should all get it over with and apply for jobs to work with Rupert. For all his sins, it would have to be more fun than working for Gannett. At least you'd feel some kinship with the guys in the Criminal Courts Building in "The Front Page."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 am 

tommangan wrote:
... it would have to be more fun than working for Gannett."

Speaking of Gannett, how's that Information Center thing working out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 am 

I have never worked for a Murdoch-owned newspaper, but I know plenty of people who have. It's no picnic, but apparently not as bad as working for a Conrad Black-owned newspaper. But, then, what could be?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:12 am 

Numero uno, ever heard of Singleton? Or as we always called him, the Pillsbury Do'h boy?

Last edited by miss msry on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:16 am 

I am familiar with Singleton by reputation only, so I can't say anything about his operation with authority.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:30 am 

I work at a Singleton-owned paper. Let's just say the name "Lean Dean" is well-earned. "Meddlesome Dean" might also be appropriate. He has personally intervened on several occasions to change our body type. He's altered the type leading and even the font. Apparently regular old Times wasn't good enough for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:06 pm 

The thing people miss in all the Murdoch sackcloth-and-ashes talk (much as they do with George Steinbrenner) is this: The guy's in his late seventies. He could die any day now. Who's to say that whoever takes over for him will be of the exact same mindset?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:51 pm 

Wabberjocky wrote:
The thing people miss in all the Murdoch sackcloth-and-ashes talk (much as they do with George Steinbrenner) is this: The guy's in his late seventies. He could die any day now. Who's to say that whoever takes over for him will be of the exact same mindset?

Two successive publishers of the Daily Oklahoman lived to around 100, somewhat to the dismay (I was told) of employees hoping the next generation would be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:21 pm 

Folks here who have worked for Murdoch papers say the paper rather than the owner is the determining factor of happiness. How did you find them? I asked one. "Walked down the street and turned left, '' quoth he.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:30 pm 

One of the most relaxed places I ever worked was Murdoch-owned, here in London - it made absolutely masses of money through job advertising (180 pages of classifieds a week), and Rupe simply left it alone to bring in the cash. Hours were good, pay was fair, fellow workers and bosses were generally a happy, contented bunch. Then Murdoch sold the title to venture capitalists, to pay for his new printing presses in the UK, and the layoffs began - though to be fair, redundancy terms were amazingly generous, especially as many people had 30 or even 40 years' service (nobody ever left, it was such a good place to work). I know of one woman in her mid-50s who received £250,000 - that's half a million bucks at today's exchange rate - and quite a few others received six-figure UK pound sums. The most recent news is that the venture capitalists have sold on, as they do - and those staffers who stayed on after the redundancies, and were subsequently awarded share options, have all picked up £9,000 each from the sale ...

Biographical note - I once nearly ran over Rupert Murdoch, in the Cromwell Road, just a short distance from Harrods. The traffic had stopped, and as I sat in my car, Mr M walked out into the road in front of me as he crossed to the other side. How different history might have been if I had released the handbrake and stamped on the accelerator ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:21 pm 

Ah, and would that you had.

Not that working for a Murdoch paper is a bad thing, in and of itself. I've worked for Murdoch and Gannett, and once you get over the "check your ethics at the door" reality of a Murdoch tab, it's really a much better ride there than at the "let's see how much blood we can wring from this dessicated stone" chain.

Some of the best times of my life were at a Murdoch tab. It taught me more about news judgment and competition than anywhere else.

He wasn't interfering much at the time; was off on some other continent. But I hear that's really a timing thing; it could've been much more hands-on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 pm 

Did anyone else see where that copy editor, Walker I think his name was, announced he was quitting rather than "answer to Murdoch." I bet that has really rocked the very foundation of The Wall Street Journal.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]