Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Who needs credibility?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:04 pm 

I came awful close to telling 'em where they could stuff my job today.

A town in our coverage area will be the site of a convention for fans of the CBS TV show "Jericho" in September. We had a story on it today, and the reporter (a veteran, occasional managing editor, and known jackass) wrote that the network would start showing seven new episodes tonight. Well, no, since the network announced just a month ago that they changed their mind about cancelling the show and would bring it back mid-season next year. When I pointed this out the reporter, his immediate response was "you're wrong. You should look it up. I did." And he kept insisting I was wrong, even though I'm not.. He didn't offer up anything to prove he was right, though.

I went to the managing editor and we got the facts cleared up. He kept telling me I need to let how the reporter acted "roll off my back" and "he's that way with everyone" (I've been here eight years, I know that). Before I left for lunch, I explained to him my anger is not about the reporter blowing ME off. He was dismissing my respsonsibility to make sure we have accurate information. And that attitude could damage our credibility, and with a different story, could land us in a lawsuit.

His response? "I can't make you two like each other. You guys need to work this out." He didn't get it wasn't about ME. It's about the newspaper. And this is from a guy who's been throwing out the word "credibility" a lot lately.

This isn't the only example. Earlier this week, a contributor for our page for the over-50 crowd sent in a column about the fate of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence. I've made it a habit to do an Internet search on his contributions, and I found the exact essay he referred to on Snopes. I told the editor about it, and he told me that "filling the page should be the priority." I could go on with dozens of examples.

I guess credibility doesn't sell papers, so that doesn't matter anymore. All that matters is that we look pretty and have "snappy" headlines and "compelling" stories. Wal-Mart is looking more appealing every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:22 pm 

Jesus, Juno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:14 pm 

It's hard to believe that anyone still falls for "The Price They Paid."

As far as the dimwitted "Jericho" reporter is concerned, fix his mistakes and if he complains, tell him to sue you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm 

Your paper appears to be full of morons. It is time to move on, friend.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:59 pm 

It's time for me to make a nomination for the TCE theme song:
Fight the Power Parts 1 & 2, the Isley Brothers, circa 1970.
Appropriate lyrics:
"... and when I rolled with the punches, I got knocked on the ground by all this bullshit going down."
Seriously, don't you think sometimes we're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:14 pm 

I'd nominate the Stan Rogers classic The Mary Ellen Carter.
Has the classic line: "With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go"
And the basic theme of bringing something back to life.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:07 am 

night train wrote:
Your paper appears to be full of morons. It is time to move on, friend.

Indeed. The ME sounds particularly egregious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:18 am 

Sorry to be late in reply; been away for a week on business.

KfitzR wrote:
I'd nominate the Stan Rogers classic 'The Mary Ellen Carter.' Has the classic line: "With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go"

" And you, to whom adversity has dealt that final blow,
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go--
Turn to, and put out all your strength
of hand and heart and brain
And, like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again! "

Thanks for quoting my absolute all-time favorite song of hope and inspiration. Those unfamiliar should seek it out and listen.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]