Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thanks for having me
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:24 pm 

Well, it looks like I don't belong here at all now -- My paper officially moved me to the news desk, title salary and all.

How better to squash my copy-editor carping and rank-and-file agitating?

Dammit.

What are your top commands if you could tell the news desk what to do? I had my own when I first moved over here, but they've become pretty fuzzy in the few months since I crossed over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:37 pm 

You still qualify as a news editor. Anyhow, you'd still be a fan.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Thanks for having me
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:11 pm 

Heartodixie wrote:
Well, it looks like I don't belong here at all now -- My paper officially moved me to the news desk, title salary and all.

How better to squash my copy-editor carping and rank-and-file agitating?

Dammit.

What are your top commands if you could tell the news desk what to do? I had my own when I first moved over here, but they've become pretty fuzzy in the few months since I crossed over.

Make it short, make it early and make it up. Think of your reader. If you do that well enough you might get two of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:46 pm 

At least don't become what some copy editors do when they're moved to other desks: the copy desk's worst enemy.

Some act as if they must prove their new allegiances by going along with the worst practices of their new co-workers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:56 am 

Wayne Countryman wrote:
At least don't become what some copy editors do when they're moved to other desks: the copy desk's worst enemy.

Some act as if they must prove their new allegiances by going along with the worst practices of their new co-workers.

I don't think there's any danger of that. It's a universal desk that keeps the copy editors' hands full with page design and layout. So I'm basically the rim. And info-box-maker, suggested-hed writer (sorry, we need those here), composed-page-proofer, etc. Main reason I agreed to move is that I'm doing a ton more copy editing over here than'd be possible on the copydesk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:20 am 

What exactly does your job entail, Heartodixie? "News editor" means different things at different papers. I was "news editor" at my current paper last year and was pretty much just the copy desk chief.

Then I got downsized out of management ... into a raise and paid overtime. (Bless the Pacific Northwest Newspaper Guild, which took me back with nary a hard feeling.) Best thing that ever happened to me professionally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:11 am 

Sorry if what I wrote seemed directed only at you, Heart. Was thinking of copy editors in general.

I'm with Wabber in wondering about the stated responsibilities of your paper's news editor and news desk. Is having you do so much copy editing part of the plan, or are you just pitching in out of necessity or desire?

A few of my papers combined the position of news editor and copy desk chief. That person tended to serve as night editor most nights, too. Two of those papers didn't even have a news desk; the city desk and copy desk divided duties every night.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:25 am 

Night editor's the title. So mostly rimming and making sure the ducks are in order as the paper's put together. Subbing for a colleague who's on extended leave.

The universal desk business, especially when they're short handed over there, means I'm the final read on stories a lot of the time. Just like the last small paper I was at, the copy desk is the pagination desk, with all the editing and display-type-writing being done on the city desk, what I've been calling the news side.

Sucks because I feel like nobody has my back. Just like I did on the copy desk. But I am learning that everything reporters and editors do has to be as perfect as possible, because there's no guarantee folks farther down the line are going to notice the errors.

Well, so much for slinking away and becoming one of "them." I tried to stay away; I really did.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]